Honest opinion please; tree photo

ChrisKraftPhotoChrisKraftPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited April 8, 2008 in Landscapes
I have a love/hate viewpoint regarding this photo:

265310863_VNPhF-L.jpg

I love the angle, the subject, the weather conditions but don't really know what bothers me about it. Maybe the sand, take away the blur, don't desaturate so much???

Any opinions would be helpful, thanks!

Chris

Comments

• CheesheadCheeshead Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Definately great shot, great subject.....I think it's the sand...the sky looks really good, the tree stands out well agains the sky, but the sand is just a little on the dull side.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    to me the tree is too much in the middle. I'd move it down and get the big sky.
  • ChrisKraftPhotoChrisKraftPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I think it's the sand too. And I've got a few other angles I'm going to play with.

Thanks for the replies and help!
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I think the color palette is dull, so either reshoot at better light or turn this into a black and white:ivar
    Interesting treethumb.gif
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    It's underexposed and dull; there's no "pop."

Now with that sky and that foreground it's tough to take that with a single shot... it's a candidate for HDR or for the "Muench double-run-through-ACR" treatment. But as is, the foreground is dark, dull, and muddy... it's not doing it for me.

The tree does have character, though... just needs different treatment of the subject.
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Exactly what I thought. Looks a bit underexposed but I love the composition.
    edited April 8, 2008
    OK; had some time to mess around with these. BTW; this is my first attempt at HDR:

276887719_fjUYy-L.jpg

A toned down version:

276891917_i4eDY-L.jpg

Simple B&W:

276893234_c2K2K-L.jpg

And an adjusted B&W (I think my favorite aside from the second one above):

276892231_GqPti-L.jpg

What do you all think? Any favs? Any other PP ideas? Thanks again!!! :D
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    #1 is the best by far! I love it. Only thing I would recommend is to lighten up the tree a bit. Seems to be lost in the sky to me. Otherwise I love it great job!
  • StrickStrick Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I think #2 is great. It has just the right amount of "pop" with out slapping you in th face with it. Maybe crop just a little off the bottom, maybe to where the sticks are in the sand.
    www.zoominphoto.com
    Various pieces of Canon gear.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I like the adjusted b&w a lot. Of the two hdr color shots, I think the first is overcooked and the second undercooked. Perhaps somewhere in between would work better? BTW, the subject and compostion is excellent, IMO.
    edited April 8, 2008
    Thanks again for the comments and help guys. I'll work a little more on the HDR. Still trying to figure that stuff out ne_nau.gif