Virtual Categories ??

cornerstonecornerstone Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have been searching around and have managed to get myself more confused, so I figured I might as well ask directly.

My Site: photos.cornerstoneawards.net

I am trying to cut down on the length of the menu, so I am re-organizing the site so that my Nav will be:
Information: Photographer, Guest book, Email, Prices
Weddings: Public Galleries, Private Galleries
Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer
Other: Other Events, Nature Photos, Family Photos

Now to the heart of my issue. Currently Hockey tournaments are the main thing I have uploaded. I have them set as-
Category= Tournament Name
Sub-Category= Division
Gallery= individual games

I want to make each tournament password protected and I'd like to make virtual categories, like an overall sports one, then a hockey one..

I'm open to suggestion on a different order or organization. Some will be password protected. Any help/critism would be welcome.

Comments

• stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    If by 'virtual categories' you mean assigning the same image to more than one Category . . then that is not possible in Smugmug at the present. I think it has been requested often.

If you wish to password a Category . . then that too is not possible in Smugmug. You need to password each and every gallery in the Category. If you use the same password for each gallery then the viewer need only enter it once, but you still have to go through the routine of passwording every single gallery.

The other option is to create Sharegroups . . which are effectively an additional virtual Category, but they have problems in that viewers get easily confused by the navigation (which can be misleading) and they also are not as simple to assign as perhaps they could be.

Sorry if that all sounds negative. No doubt others on here will be more positive than me!
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    You can do this via Gallery Redirects
  • cornerstonecornerstone Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    You know, I read that thread from one of my forums searches and it didn't sink in the first time. I think it might just work for me with some fooling around.

I have yet to use keywords, but I think with the redirect and keywords it will all work out. At worse I may have to duplicate some images if the passwords cause any problems.

Thanks again.
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I want to make each tournament password protected and I'd like to make virtual categories, like an overall sports one, then a hockey one..
    And so do I ... and so do many others ...

Thruth is that the concept of Virtual Galleries is not yet implemented. I say "not yet" since many users keep asking for this (I am one) and we all hope it will happen soon. I keep looking for it every time new functions are surfaced but ... not yet.

When Virtual Galleries arrives I will store my photos in larges container-galleries and then start building a vitrual structure from there.

There are a few workarounds, some requires a bit of coding. Myself I am waiting for the real built-in thing.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories