Nikon 70-300 VR used or new

fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited April 9, 2008 in Cameras
I am looking to purchase the Nikon 70-300vr and was wondering if anyone had experience purchasing from Cameta Camera (refurbished). It is $400 from them or I can buy new from Cameta or B & H for $80 more. The refurbished includes a 1 year warranty from Cameta but no box.

I have a handful of outdoor events lined up for the summer and would like the extra reach and VR. I have one coming up in less than one month (air show) that the VR should help. (I think :D).

thanks
frank
dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 8, 2008
    I purchased a refurbished lens from them about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem. But for 80 bucks to have the full 5 year nikon warranty isn't a bad trade off in my opinion.
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    That is my thought too...
    barrotj wrote:
    I purchased a refurbished lens from them about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem. But for 80 bucks to have the full 5 year nikon warranty isn't a bad trade off in my opinion.

I am thinking the same thing. Plus, the box is worth money if I decide to sell the lens in a year or two to upgrade to the 70-200 vr :-) .

frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1

• PAFirefighter11PAFirefighter11 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I have the 70-300 VR and I love it! It's pretty big and draws a fair amount of attention as well... Beware :)
    Rick
    Personal: D2x | D70s | Canon AE1 | Nikkor: 18-70 3.5-4.5 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR II | SB600 w/ diffuser | AB B1600 w/ stand & umbrella | Jenis Grip | DAKINE backpack | Manfrotto 055X PROB tripod & Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head | Bogen 3231
    Work: 2 Hasselblad's w/ glass | D300 | Fuji S2 Pro w/ Nikon mount | Nikkor 18-200 VR | Broncs | Norms | Dyna heads | Chimera boxes | stands | & much more
    |My Photos|
  • xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one using Cameta's eBay store. They are tops in my books!bowdown.gif
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I have the 70-300 VR and I love it! It's pretty big and draws a fair amount of attention as well... Beware :)

I used the G version before, is this "alot" bigger than the G?
    dr.Frank

• jjeffrey1jjeffrey1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2008
    Cameta Camera comments
    I too am very happy with Cameta Camera.:ivar
    I purchased a Demo Nikon D40 from them.
    It came with the std 18-55 kit lens.
    It is everything Cameta advertised.Clean and like new!
    Came with lots of extras ( all orig stuff like manual, box etc ).
    Cameta has never disappointed me yet so far.
    I got it on their ebay auction for a good price and their customer service
    is exceptional i thot.
    I am looking to buy a 70-300 vr demo from them soon.
    I encourage everyone to buy from Cameta if they can.
    Great place to do business I think.thumb.gif

jjeffrey1
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    Thanks jjeffrey1 and welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    fmkjr wrote:
    t is $400 from them or I can buy new from Cameta or B & H for $80 more. The refurbished includes a 1 year warranty from Cameta but no box.

That's only 17% off, not worth it with our the extra 4 years from Nikon. Now if they knock the price down to $360 with a 1yr it would be more tempting. And I'd be far less worried about the optics and mechanics of the lens as I would be with the electronics in it.