Options

new smugmug features - March 31st, 2005

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited April 1, 2005 in SmugMug Support
It's that time of the week again. :)

Here's all the new goodies:

- Pros can now upload JPEGs up to 16MB in size!

- RSS/Atom feeds! Lots of pages on the site now have feeds so you can use your favorite news reader, mail client, web browser, or web service to keep track of updates to galleries, photos, search terms, keywords, and comments. Whew. Expect more pages to get feeds in the near future, too.

- New comments functionality! Your control panel now has details about your comments (old ones are currently filtering in, should be done by the time you read this, probably) and allows you to see them all in one place. What's more, you can now set your account to require approval of all comments before they're posted. Finally, you can now subscribe via Atom/RSS to your comments and see what people are saying.

- "Password Hint" option for galleries. Gives someone a hint as to what the password might be. Close friends and family who forget the name of your favorite dog might have problems, but everyone who remembers will be fine. :)

- "Hide Owner" option for galleries. Completely removes the breadcrumbs and any mention of your name from a gallery page.

- Some shopping cart addition bugs have been fixed, including if you logout while shopping. Your cart is now maintained properly.

- Browser prefetching. Experimental feature, only enabled on galleries, we try to predict what pages people will see next and let modern browsers (Firefox) prefetch it in the background so browsing is quick.

- 'Save photo' link. If you allow Originals in your galleries, and the photo is large enough to have an Original, there's a new 'Save photo' link which will quickly let you save a photo to your PC, rather than having to "Right-click -> Save As". Obviously, if Originals are off, so is this link.

- Huge API changes. I'll detail those in the hacks forum. Check it out there if you'd like to see it.

- Fullscreen slideshow was enhanced and made a little more user-friendly.

- Image protection no longer plays badly with Opera.

- Gallery image numbering has changed to say how many photos there are total, rather than on the given page.

- More PNG updates for Internet Explorer, especially for windows 2000.

- 'Add to cart' button added for individual photo views when looking at keywords. There's still a known bug here, but at least people can buy your stuff in that view.

- Updated button colors & wording for new customers.

- Sharegroups now properly populate the Category & SubCategory views with the albums that belong to any sharegroups you've seen.

And more, I'm sure, but those are the highlights. Enjoy! :)

Don

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 1, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    - Huge API changes. I'll detail those in the hacks forum. Check it out there if you'd like to see it.
    Just when I was getting ready for a release eek7.gif
    onethumb wrote:
    APIKey
    • Next release, will be a requirement. More details soon.
    hmmm ?? uhoh2.gifuhoh2.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Don,
    thanks for the nice update! clap.gif

Found a bug in the new comment-listing. The thumbs and links to the pictures aren't displayed in IE6 SP1, but it works in Mozilla. In IE I see that all images are loaded and in the source I can also see the links, but somehow they don't show up.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Don,
    thanks for the nice update! clap.gif

Found a bug in the new comment-listing. The thumbs and links to the pictures aren't displayed in IE6 SP1, but it works in Mozilla. In IE I see that all images are loaded and in the source I can also see the links, but somehow they don't show up.

Sebastian

Fixed?

Don
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Fixed?

Don
    Yes, thanks! clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    great work, don & team!

clap.gif
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Good stuff except for the save photo link, I am kinda annoyed by that, another link to dirty up the page, I understand how some would want it, but why the heck is that link still there when the gallery is set to protected? headscratch.gif You are defeating the whole reason for the protected option. IMHO a feature like this should have it's own setting and be off by default.

James.
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    The RSS/Atom feeds are a nice addition, but I think they should be allowed to be turned off, by gallery (perhaps an "include in RSS/Atom" option). I see that private galleries do not show up, which is of course how it should be. But I just think people should have the option either way.

On the flip side, it would be interesting to be able to get a feed for a private gallery. Maybe by supplying the password in the request?

Just some ideas...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    the new comments feature *rawks* thanks guys
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 1, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    why the heck is that link still there when the gallery is set to protected? headscratch.gif
    Hmmm... I didn't think to test that configuration because it's gone if you have the originals link turned off. We were thinking you'd have originals off on a protected gallery but we'll have to look into this more.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hmmm... I didn't think to test that configuration because it's gone if you have the originals link turned off. We were thinking you'd have originals off on a protected gallery but we'll have to look into this more.

Thanks,
    Baldy
    Leave it me Baldy, I am the wierd one. :D

James.
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    I can picture people getting all excited about saving a copy of Jame's work so they can make a 20x30 print for themselves only to find that they have downloaded a transparent spacer GIF. Ha!

-w
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    I can picture people getting all excited about saving a copy of Jame's work so they can make a 20x30 print for themselves only to find that they have downloaded a transparent spacer GIF. Ha!

-w
    I have a hard time imagining someone wanting a 20X30 of my work in the first place. rolleyes1.gif

James.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks,
    Baldy

We really don't have to think about it. Try clicking the link on a protected gallery and see what you're actually saving. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    We really don't have to think about it. Try clicking the link on a protected gallery and see what you're actually saving. :)

Don
    For somereason when I click on it now I get a page can't be displayed, last night it came up with the save file dialog, but I must admit I did not save it, so I don't know what it was saving.

James.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Thanks!
    Yes, I was going to realeas a "few" things this weekend, too.

Now it looks like I'll spend most of it trying to figure out what do I need to fix/change/update..

Thank you for keep SM live! (and keeping us on our toes:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Image protection
    onethumb wrote:

Here's all the new goodies:

- 'Save photo' link. If you allow Originals in your galleries, and the photo is large enough to have an Original, there's a new 'Save photo' link which will quickly let you save a photo to your PC, rather than having to "Right-click -> Save As". Obviously, if Originals are off, so is this link.

Don

Don,

When in keyword page, the images are not protected, and the 'save image' link is on... is that normal?
    Thank you,

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 1, 2005
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    Don,

When in keyword page, the images are not protected, and the 'save image' link is on... is that normal?
    Any image that is protected in the gallery should be protected in the keyword gallery. Try and save the image and see if you actually get it or not... you won't get the right click message, but it is still protected.

The same should go for any image that has originals disabled in gallery, it shouldn't be showing a save link in the keywords.

Can you show me a link to an exception to either of these?
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    Any image that is protected in the gallery should be protected in the keyword gallery. Try and save the image and see if you actually get it or not... you won't get the right click message, but it is still protected.

The same should go for any image that has originals disabled in gallery, it shouldn't be showing a save link in the keywords.

Can you show me a link to an exception to either of these?

Hi Ben,
    http://erikolsenphotography.smugmug.com/keyword/shakerag/1/13921565/Large
    http://erikolsenphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/350286/16/13921565

Copy protect is on in that gallery.
    Thank you,

• Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

- Gallery image numbering has changed to say how many photos there are total, rather than on the given page.
    Thanks, this one has been confusing my users for a long time.

gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Is there a reason why the Save Image link is tied to the Original instead of protected? Just because of the watermarking issue? This one is a good example of why I stated before that I would love to know via e-mail about changes upfront, in the last couple of days I touched every gallery I have in order to make them all clean because of the way clean affects catagories, Had I known that this was coming I would have removed Originals on them all at the same time to get ride of this new "feature", even though I didn't want to dump Originals on many of my galleries I am now forced to in oreder to get rid of that link. God how I wish I could make one setting global to all galleries. Could this get it's own setting? I ask that you make as many new "features" have thier own setting option and be disabled by default. I really hate opening up my own site which have the way I want, one day to find that you've added something that I don't want and now I have to spend hours getting it like I want again. BTW, that comments thing is very cool, mega thanks on that one, the ATOM and RSS buttons and the save image link I am not happy with, but the rest of these changes are A+. Those two buttons ATOM and RSS look like ass on the pages, I blew out the footer just to get rid of them.

James.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    georges wrote:
    Thanks, this one has been confusing my users for a long time.

gs
    Heck the old system even confused me sometimes.

James.
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks,
    Baldy
    Um, (I haven't done this yet but..) I had been planning on creating protected galleries for this very purpose - to restrict who could download originals just to those who I gave access (that is, I'd have two "duplicate" galleries, one hi rez but protected, the other "screen-sized and public.)

'Couse, if there were a password-option assiciated with the download-original feature, would be much cleaner, no? (feature request? thumb.gif )

Gary

PS - revealing the "share-grouped" galleries in their proper category or subcategory is GREAT!!! Will save having to explain to viewers how to get back to the gallery they were just looking at from a sharegroup link after browsing up out of the group! Thank you!!!!