EXIF Data

sg_is_mesg_is_me Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited April 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi.

I've been enjoying my SmugMug account, but I just found an issue that has me concerned, and I'm wondering if it's usual.

I save all my images with their exif data intact. To do this, I either use Photoshop CS3, or Adobe Bridge.

I find that in viewing my images within the Smugmug interface, the information button behaves normally, and exif data is viewable. However, if I use an exif reader plugin in Firefox, or if I download an image from my Smugmug gallery, all exif data is gone. Some readers show it as "corrupted", and some show it as non-existent. I do see, however, that the data is retained, when copied from SmugDav.

Is SmugMug removing, or moving my exif data from my files? Sometimes, I do need people to be able to save one of my files and still view the data, but I definitely don't want to give out the info for them to use SmugDav.

Please advise.

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    sg_is_me wrote:
    Hi.

I've been enjoying my SmugMug account, but I just found an issue that has me concerned, and I'm wondering if it's usual.

I save all my images with their exif data intact. To do this, I either use Photoshop CS3, or Adobe Bridge.

I find that in viewing my images within the Smugmug interface, the information button behaves normally, and exif data is viewable. However, if I use an exif reader plugin in Firefox, or if I download an image from my Smugmug gallery, all exif data is gone. Some readers show it as "corrupted", and some show it as non-existent. I do see, however, that the data is retained, when copied from SmugDav.

Is SmugMug removing, or moving my exif data from my files? Sometimes, I do need people to be able to save one of my files and still view the data, but I definitely don't want to give out the info for them to use SmugDav.

Please advise.

The EXIF data is only actually present on the originals, not on the smaller, generated sizes. Smugmug gets it from the original when you use it's EXIF display. The Firefox plugin is trying to get it from the smaller size you are looking at and there is no EXIF data there. You can confirm this by displaying one of your originals and then viewing the EXIF data with the plugin on that image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • sg_is_mesg_is_me Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The EXIF data is only actually present on the originals, not on the smaller, generated sizes. Smugmug gets it from the original when you use it's EXIF display. The Firefox plugin is trying to get it from the smaller size you are looking at and there is no EXIF data there. You can confirm this by displaying one of your originals and then viewing the EXIF data with the plugin on that image.

Thank you jfriend, that makes sense. I'm not all that happy with it, but it makes sense - I guess it saves on storage size for SM, with all the varying file sizes that have to be created.

I appreciate the clarification!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
  • sg_is_mesg_is_me Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Thanks for this - I knew the basics, but there're more options than I thought. My only difficulty with some of this is that I sometimes have to have the exif viewed on a downloaded image (I teach, so students need to refer to it, sometimes - and there's not always internet access in a classroom). I guess for those situations, I'll just have to burn CD's or something.

Thanks again.