Seward Highway, Alaska

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited April 9, 2008 in Landscapes
So I was sitting at home and though "what should I be doing right now?" With the sun shining beautifully and the day warm I jumped in the car at 6:30pm and drove out for a nice sunset climb. I couldnt find a climbing partner so I decided just to do some soloing. To make it a little interesting I decided to wear my mountaineering boots for practice.

I climbed up a section and at about the top some snow from the recent snowfall had made it real nice and wet. I had to downclimb and decided to go back up a different section. I climbed up a gully that was pretty easy and then followed the bolts up the common 3 or 4 pitch climb to the sunshine summit. Ill admit it defintely felt a little more iffy climbing in these boots then in regular climbing shoes! That coupled with the amount of loose rock because of the time of season and it was actually a fun time to get out!

This is the arm at around 7pm. The long light of this time of season is wonderful for getting out after work!
276830258_FdEyi-XL.jpg

A look back down towards the road.
276823328_FKDXZ-XL.jpg

I cooked my dinner and brought some tea with me so I could enjoy the sunset over dinner.
276823750_DjNKf-XL.jpg

Then while I was waiting I decided to have a little fun with the camera. Testing my levitation skills.
276824146_VSdXx-XL.jpg

Then the sun begin to set and cast some beautiful colors over the area. I love sunset from the mountains.
276824461_EpiQ2-XL.jpg

This picture shows the climbing I did for the night. Its been done a hundred times solo im sure but that doesnt make it less enjoyable!
276824902_2YdS3-XL.jpg

On the drive back home I pulled off the road to take this picture. Sometimes it is hard to come back to civilization.

276825474_qdV9E-XL.jpg

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Wow, I love sunsets, and truely appreciate the long light of the north. Your sunsets are really beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing these.

ann
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    That area is so beautiful! Wonderful views and shots! Your levitation shot is a little freaky! eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif You seem to have a great ability to seize the moment and take advantage of beautiful places.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    That area is so beautiful! Wonderful views and shots! Your levitation shot is a little freaky! eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif You seem to have a great ability to seize the moment and take advantage of beautiful places.

Thanks both of you for the replies!

I had fun making the jumping shot. I think the ball on my hat just added to it hehe. I think my inability to sit still helps me to find odd moments in travel. :)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    i really liked your dinner shot, it tells a great story initself or yourselfthumb.gif . (i need to start doing these type of shots) also very amazing background...wow

rockon hiker!
    Aaron Nelson
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Looks like a great place - thanks for sharing!
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Love the levitation shot. Truly excellent.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif That's your hat in the jumping shot? I wasn't sure if you had some kind of invisible puppeteer helping you there. :D

I love the serenity here. I wish I had such places to go when I want a bit of quiet on a mundane night. Thanks for taking us with you!

(oh and welcome home!)
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif That's your hat in the jumping shot? I wasn't sure if you had some kind of invisible puppeteer helping you there. :D

I love the serenity here. I wish I had such places to go when I want a bit of quiet on a mundane night. Thanks for taking us with you!

(oh and welcome home!)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I love having dinner out there and have probably spent a few months worth of nights just out there eating on a high cliff by myself watching the sunset.

Thanks for the welcome home schmoo!