Options

APIKeys & You!

2»

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I guess I'm not really understanding the API key issues, but I want to be as helpful as possible. Don didn't yet tell me not to worry about it so I didn't stop.

What if I stop allowing any downloads of sm_tool.py but require people to email or PM me personally to get copies and I keep a list of everyone who does so? In the case of sm_tool.py, the user commnuity is probably so small that this is easily feasible (and if not, well that's interesting information for me). I think just requiring people to contact me to get the script would discourage a huge percentage of potential misuse.

Don, do you care?

I'm intentionally trying not to be too specific here about what I'm avoiding by using the API keys, but it's your script - you can do whatever you want with it.

I don't have a problem with it being freely passed around, in fact, that's what I'd prefer, but it's up to you.

Don
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I'm intentionally trying not to be too specific here about what I'm avoiding by using the API keys, but it's your script - you can do whatever you want with it.

I don't have a problem with it being freely passed around, in fact, that's what I'd prefer, but it's up to you.

Don

OK, I'm going to stop thinking about this now. If you ever want me to start again, just whistle.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Is my API key private? Should I try to keep it a secrect? I suppose I might have been missing something, because I always assumed I'd just include it when I released a version of the python script that used an API version that required it (that hasn't happened yet.) Now I realize that the right model might be to require each user to get his/her own key and install it in the script.

Don, what do you want me to do?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Is my API key private? Should I try to keep it a secrect? I suppose I might have been missing something, because I always assumed I'd just include it when I released a version of the python script that used an API version that required it (that hasn't happened yet.) Now I realize that the right model might be to require each user to get his/her own key and install it in the script.

Don, what do you want me to do?

Include it in your script.

Don
  • Options
    snadboysnadboy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2005
    API Key Approval
    I apologize if this question has been addressed previously, but I couldn't find an answer. How long does it typically take to have an API Key request approved? A couple of days? longer? And yes, I have checked the status in Control Panel...

Thanks,
    snadboy
  • Options
    dleewodleewo Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Commercial Use Allowed?
    The info on smugmug.com suggests that the API is really for non-commercial use, but I know there are commercial apps that currently use it.

I'm thinking of creating a cross-platform app (Windows, Mac, Linux) for uploading images to smugmug. Probably not as sophisticated as StarExplorer, but certainly more so than the Mac uploader I had tried.

The app would be primarily for use with smugmug, but again, your website states "where smugmug interaction is the primary selling point, are generally discouraged."

I would want to charge for this application. Would that be permitted? Do I need special approval?

Derek
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    How do I remove a key that I don't need?

the first time I applied I saw name and blindly typed in my name instead of the app name.

Once I noticed what I did I submitted another application with the app name.

But I now have 2 keys and I only need one.

thanks,
    Mike
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    API Calls via VBScript
    Hi Don,

I'm new to the Hacks forum and had a basic question before I apply for API authorizing usage.

Can I make SmugMug API calls from within VBScript? What would be the syntax for referencing the SmugMug application object? (I usually use the 'Set' command to reference objects (i.e. 'Set commenceDB = Application.Database').

thx -dave conrad
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Distributing library or class?
    onethumb wrote:
    Include [the API key] in your script.

That makes (some) sense to me - if the script is an "application".

Now, what if it's just a library? I'm thinking of the following situation: for my site (travel blog), I put together a library, or a small class, in PHP to provide some functionality for embedding selected images from SmugMug. In order to run it, I'd need an API key - but the SmugMug class/library is just a small part of my travel blog application.

Now, when my class/library is reasonably complete and works well, I'd want to distribute it - even if I don't (yet) distribute my whole travel blog application - and I'd want to distribute it (of course) as open source, LPGL or similar.

The only logical thing to me seems to distribute it with an installable API key (and not with mine), and anyone using it in their own site would have to get their own API key; likewise anyone using it as part of another application (distributed, or provided as a service) would need or maybe already have(!) their own API key.

Does this make sense?
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 6, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    That makes (some) sense to me - if the script is an "application".

Now, what if it's just a library? I'm thinking of the following situation: for my site (travel blog), I put together a library, or a small class, in PHP to provide some functionality for embedding selected images from SmugMug. In order to run it, I'd need an API key - but the SmugMug class/library is just a small part of my travel blog application.

Now, when my class/library is reasonably complete and works well, I'd want to distribute it - even if I don't (yet) distribute my whole travel blog application - and I'd want to distribute it (of course) as open source, LPGL or similar.

The only logical thing to me seems to distribute it with an installable API key (and not with mine), and anyone using it in their own site would have to get their own API key; likewise anyone using it as part of another application (distributed, or provided as a service) would need or maybe already have(!) their own API key.

Does this make sense?

yeah that makes sense, just have an api key parameter/variable that a user can assign their api key to thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    rujerorujero Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    YouTellYou - the magazine of our lives
    Hi Smugmug people!

I am working on an online photo magazine written by the people for the people that I have named YouTellYou (check out a prototype at http://youtellyou.com).

Users can create photo stories by selecting photos from:
    - their computer
    - their Smugmug account
    - their flickr account
    - their Facebook account
    - a mixture of those
    putting them in a sequence and providing captions, a title, a summary and a few other bits of information.

I am using phpSmug for the Smugmug API and I would like you guys to tell me whether I am not violating any Smugmug rule that I am not aware of.bowdown.gif

I am only using the Smugmug name to tell users that they can link to their Smugmug account and I am using a small Smugmug logo to link back to Smugmug (see this story page: http://youtellyou.com/storyRead.php?&idStory=248)

Basically what I do is I allow people to browse their photos on Smugmug and select the photos they want to place in the story. Then I store the Thumb, Medium and Large URLs and the caption of the photos in a database on YouTellYou. I also store the URL of the Smugmug page to allow readers to link back to Smugmug.

What you find at youtellyou.com is a functional prototype (nearly feature complete for the beta release). The UI is still provisional, I am working with a graphic designer on it so be forgiving for the time being. I have done everything myself and I am not really a very experienced developer.ne_nau.gif

I would very much appreciate your comments on my initiative (and your blessing, if I haven't done anything wrong).
    The website is free to use. I am thinking about a possible business model for it may be involving putting stories together in a book to print but it is still very fuzzy.

BTW If Markham reads this, this is what I was trying to explain to you early this year, of course at the time it was all very much in my head and I think I did a poor job of explaining myself. I am totally committed to YouTellYou and I think it has great potential. I am very much keen on discussing any suggestion or proposal (can't stop dreaming...) you might have.

Cheers, Ruggero Domenichini (rujero)
  • Options
    rujerorujero Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    YouTellYou - the magazine of our lives
    YouTellYou version 1.0 is now live!

On YouTellYou you can create photo stories in minutes, linking from your Smugmug photos (or flickr or Facebook) or uploading from your computer.
    Stories are published on the YouTellYou magazine and you can share yours with your friends (email, twitter, post URL) and with the world.
    It's easy, it's fun, it's free! Give it a try!
    Please use it. Create stories. Try to break it. Give me feedback. Ask for features.

Ruggero Domenichini (Auckland, NZ)

http://youtellyou.com