Options

Exposing for Red

JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
edited April 11, 2008 in Technique
What is the best way to exppose for the color red? When I take photos of flowers (red flowers) I can't seem to get the exposure correct. I either clip or under expose. I have been going to the botanical garden in my area (Phoenix) I usually shoot late morning (10 to 11). I can start earlier to possibly get better light or go later and wait for the sun to get lower.

Any suggestion?

Thnx in advance...
J. Murph

Comments

• Options
    leadZEROleadZERO Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Examples? Equiptment? Settings? Conditions?

Not to sound rude, but you've given us too little information.
    Ryan P Sommers
    http://www.rpsommers.com/

Canon 5D Mk II
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Actually I believe it was covered a bit ago. I was pretty sure I remembered it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=86242&highlight=Exposure

Just did a search on "Red Exposure" in this forum.

Regards,

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    I think LiquidAir's answer explains a lot about red exposure.

The exposure of red flowers is where one notices it a lot. You need to set your cameras histogram to display the Red, Green and Blue histograms ( if your camera can do this ) and use that information to help with images with very large areas of deep, bright, highly saturated reds.

If you shoot in RAW, you can dial back the red Saturation slider in the RAW converter to help also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Color Problem
    Think I'm looking for the same answer. Recently was asked to come shoot a dance contest for my friend, but most of my work has been outside. So, moving inside with a flash changed things. I went to one of her practice sessions to test and got not so great results.

277637582_tC53d-M.jpg

Her gown should be bright orange, and washed out to this more muted color.

Using a Canon D-30, 70-200 at 2.8 wiht a 200ISO. I read the other answers, and I tried all types of settings, but could not get the bright orange color, like a construction warning sign orange. Tried shooting all manual too letting the camera do the work, and all were the same.

Any suggestions?
    Come check out my Artwork too. Graphite Renderings.
    http://www.LongRanch.com
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Pretty girl.

By D30, do you mean this Canon D30, reviewed here?

Shooting jpgs or RAW? If jpgs, what color space are they in Adobe RGB or sRGB?

If jpgs, what color parameters in the camera? There are several choices seen below... Particularly color saturation and contrast.

What White Balance did you choose? AWB, sunlight, tungsten, flash, or did you attempt a Custom white balance? I am discussing tools for setting custom white balance here

This looks like a combination of tungsten and flash. Any other lighting present? I suspect there is a ton of yellow reflection from that floor. That may be where some of your color went.

If RAW, which converter and how processed?

• Options
    Kowboy33Kowboy33 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    missed color
    Yes the canon 30D, I start typing and stop thinking! lol

Always shoot RAW.
    The ligthing was bad, even with a 2.8, they were still under exposing, so I used a 430 flash. The photo info says it was set to "Complusory Flash Mode", and it did fire. And the WB setting says "Manual" on the photo info in smug mug, probably had it set to AWB. But I know tried a few photos using the expodisc and adjusting the color tempeture, no good results.

The rooms ligthing was flourescent. It was a dance studio and had a mirrored wall, which i kept my back too.

I figured it was the poor lighting and the flash.

I did fool wiht some of the color settings, still did not get the orange, but this "cremesicle" color just got more intense. Even tried boucing the flash off the ceiling and walls, no real change. From what i remember, I eventually left it on a standard mode, maybe with a little extra color saturation, it helped a little.

believe, I use Adobe RGB. (at work, so don't have my camera with me).

My flash photography is my weak spot, that and indoor shooting. Never get the mixed ligthing correct. Why i got the expo disc, but that does not get the result everytime. also not sure how to use it in mixed ligthing.

thanks.
    Come check out my Artwork too. Graphite Renderings.
    http://www.LongRanch.com
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Kowboy,
    It sounds like you made several attempts that should have helped; not sure I know the correct answer for you here.

I still think the combination of fluorescent lighting and the yellow varnished floor were big factors. Some folks use a green gel over their flash ( to help it match the fluorescent light ) and then shoot a custom white balance frame with the Expo disk with the masked flash and the ambient fluorescent lighting. Basketball shooters write about the aggravation of fluorescent lights and yellow varnished floors a lot.

I am writing about color balancing with the Expodisk and other means [url=""]here[/url] I have not gotten to fluorescent light yet - that is sure to be a minefield, I suspect. :D