Options

smugmug powers A9 search!

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited April 1, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Fun tip of the day:

Go to a9.com.

Hit "Add Columns to your Search Results".

Type "smugmug" in the "search columns" box.

Add one (or both!) to your search bar.

Go to town! :)

Don

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Wow Don, great stuff! Although some results return red crosses instead of pictures. Don't know if thats a problem on A9's side or yours.
    Example

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Wow Don, great stuff! Although some results return red crosses instead of pictures. Don't know if thats a problem on A9's side or yours.
    Example

Sebastian

Ahh, that's because External Linking is disabled.

Just fixed that issue. I think A9 is caching our results, so it may take awhile for that search term to get fixed, but others should work.

*crosses fingers*

Don
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    brill thumb.gif
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Okay, I just checked this out and now my brain is reeling with the possibilities...

This is pretty darn cool!

I only know the basics about RSS, but couldn't the image URL go into the enclosure sub-element of the item element instead of the description? Or maybe it should be in both?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Okay, I just checked this out and now my brain is reeling with the possibilities...

This is pretty darn cool!

I only know the basics about RSS, but couldn't the image URL go into the enclosure sub-element of the item element instead of the description? Or maybe it should be in both?

You'll note that on some of our feeds, the image URL does go into the enclosure.

For this search, it really doesn't make sense. Enclosure is intended for downloading in-the-background from your news reader or something, so it's fast when you wake up and go to read it.

Search results are sorta an on-the-fly thing.

Good eye, though . :)

Don
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Nice!
    Thanks alot!clap.gif
    Can you spare a little more time and give us some more datials on what's going on behind the scenes?
    Thank you!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks alot!clap.gif
    Can you spare a little more time and give us some more datials on what's going on behind the scenes?
    Thank you!thumb.gif

Like?

A9's basically using one of our new RSS feeds to query and get results from smugmug to include with their other results.

Happy to provide details, but need to know what you want. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    I see...
    onethumb wrote:
    Like?

A9's basically using one of our new RSS feeds to query and get results from smugmug to include with their other results.

Happy to provide details, but need to know what you want. :)

Don
    Thank you for the prompt reply.
    One of my customers needs a specific search capability. I was wandering if this A9 thingie could be customised enough to look for specific things and the present those result as a virtual gallery so viewer can purchase them..

I guess I need to look into this A9 thing before I bug you with further questions..
    Thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the prompt reply.
    One of my customers needs a specific search capability. I was wandering if this A9 thingie could be customised enough to look for specific things and the present those result as a virtual gallery so viewer can purchase them..

I guess I need to look into this A9 thing before I bug you with further questions..
    Thanks!thumb.gif

Better yet, just look at the RSS/Atom feeds on image search results. Both global smugmug searches and user searches have feeds, and you can use them to get XML-formatted data on the results.

Don
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Thanks, Don!
    onethumb wrote:
    Better yet, just look at the RSS/Atom feeds on image search results. Both global smugmug searches and user searches have feeds, and you can use them to get XML-formatted data on the results.

Don
    I will do that, thank you for the point!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif