Mother and Daughter

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited April 10, 2008 in People
I am consistently amazed and the caliber and quality of the photos that get posted on dgrin every day, and embarrassed to put mine in the same web space! :bow But I am continuing to try and learn portraiture, and like pushing my comfort boundaries... ok and maybe I'm also a little bit of a glutton for punishment! :wink

That said, I would very much appreciate your C&C on this group of images, especially any comments on the lighting and PP. These are of a mother and daughter who wanted some pretty but fun-loving portraits together to celebrate some recent significant (but positive) changes in their lives. The mother especially wanted a lot of PP "cleanup" of wrinkles and other skin flaws, which is why some of the PP is extreme.... but is it too much?

Thanks for looking and commenting!

277061213_uvgE3-S.jpg

277061223_G6DC2-S.jpg

277061253_XmKAW-S.jpg

277061217_QzQ8d-S.jpg

277061225_6gTtA-S.jpg

277061226_4tmFS-S.jpg

Thanks!!
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    I LOVE number 2....that is an awesome shot! I am a beginner so the only thing I am going to comment about is #5's crop...

I love the mother and daughter pics! Just gorgeous!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Good looking set of images. The processing looks fine with the exception of #4. The soft focus effect boosted saturation a bit too much for my tastes.
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    I am by no means a PP pro, but I think you did a lovely job! Your poses are nice and the lighting is pleasing. # 3 is great but I would do some selective sharpening on the dogs eyes....mom's eyes are pretty but the doggie should have nice sharp eyeballs too....:D
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Doggies need love, too! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for commenting everyone.

craftgirl: Yup, I definately spent all my time on the humans and forgot about the dogs eyes! I'll work on that sharpening them a bit in PP.

Travis: I agree with you. It's funny... when I first finished #4, the soft focus really appealed to me... but the more I look at it, the less appealing it gets. It must be one of those things that seems novel at first, but quickly gets annoying as the initial novelty wears off! It reminds me to take a break from the PP for a while to look at the images with a fresh eye. I think I'll go back to the normal image, which I'll post after I get home.

BiShay: Thank you! Something about the crop of #5 bothers me too, but I'm not quite sure how to correct it. I don't have a lot of space camera right since she was standing in a small space between a window (which served as my fill light) and a large sofa. Suggestions anyone?
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    PhilCollum wrote:
    Travis: I agree with you. It's funny... when I first finished #4, the soft focus really appealed to me... but the more I look at it, the less appealing it gets. It must be one of those things that seems novel at first, but quickly gets annoying as the initial novelty wears off! It reminds me to take a break from the PP for a while to look at the images with a fresh eye. I think I'll go back to the normal image, which I'll post after I get home.

Here's the "normal" image.

277559800_vpEYH-M.jpg
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Phil these are great! Softness is all a matter of taste, but for me I just love your "normal" image and they both look wonderful in it! I usually end up moving my slider back 50% after I think I've reached my goal. For me less is best. Great images though, and style-wise I think the women will really appreciate what you've captured. thumb.gif