Nikon Lenses (D40)

bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited April 13, 2008 in Cameras
hello, i have a Nikon D40
i am trying to get some advise to see which lens is best for really upclose detailed sharp photos like wedding rings, name place tage, anything like that.
also what lens is best for taking pictures of surfing, sports etc...
i don't want to spend too much. i am a student and just need something that will do the jobs :)

thanks so much
http://www.rominasphotography.com
ro_photo_art@yahoo.com

romina :ivar
Romina Ludovico

Comments

• tkbtkb Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Macro lens
    I have found the 60mm Nikon Macro to be a great lens for close up work. You should be able to pick up one used.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    Hi Romina, since you are not looking for anything in particular, and asking more of a general question, I've moved this thread to the Cameras forum, where you are likely to get more replies and advice.

Also, if you do a little searching around in this forum, you'll find many similar threads from other people with new D40's nod.gif

Once you have some idea of what you are looking for, come back to the flea market with your "Want to Buy" wishes.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    nikon lens
    Awesome, didn't even know we had a camera forum. i am still learning Dgrin. thanks so muchmwink.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hi Romina, since you are not looking for anything in particular, and asking more of a general question, I've moved this thread to the Cameras forum, where you are likely to get more replies and advice.

Also, if you do a little searching around in this forum, you'll find many similar threads from other people with new D40's nod.gif

Once you have some idea of what you are looking for, come back to the flea market with your "Want to Buy" wishes.

thanks,
    Romina Ludovico
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:
    i am trying to get some advise to see which lens is best for really upclose detailed sharp photos like wedding rings, name place tage, anything like that.
    For all my wedding ring photos a basic 50 f1.7 worked out just fine. Focuses down to 1.5' and with the crop factor now on DSLR you get even greater magnifaction. Your next step up would be a 50/60 f2.8 macro but those don't come cheap.
    bellaphoto wrote:
    i don't want to spend too much. i am a student and just need something that will do the jobs :)
    75-300mm will work if you don't have allot of cash to spend for most field sports. Surfing is gonna be a bit harder depending on how far out the break is. 1.5x tele converter would be usefull but it's gonna be hella slow and sharpness will be affected.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    bellaphoto wrote:

thanks so much
    http://www.rominasphotography.com
    ro_photo_art@yahoo.com

romina :ivar

Do you need auto-focus?

That's the issue with the D40--only AF-S lenses will AF.
    Tim
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Do you need auto-focus?

That's the issue with the D40--only AF-S lenses will AF.

Correct...There are no prime lenses that nikon makes that will focus on the d40, d40x and the d60.

Sigma makes a 30mm HSM prime that might be good for the up close stuff you are wanting.

as for surfing and those type of photos you will need a really nice telephoto lens that auto-focuses...and you are talking big bucks here, considering how far surfers usually are from where you might be able to snap some photos...

You are on a budget and that makes it really hard for most people using the d40 cause lenses are so expensive cause they are so new...You might consider picking up a d50, selling the d40 so you can purchase lenses that are older and considerably less in price...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • bellaphotobellaphoto Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    lens
    Thank you for all your replies, i will look into all the suggestions. i need all the help and advise i can get. thanks again rolleyes1.gif

romina

BPerron wrote:
    Correct...There are no prime lenses that nikon makes that will focus on the d40, d40x and the d60.

Sigma makes a 30mm HSM prime that might be good for the up close stuff you are wanting.

as for surfing and those type of photos you will need a really nice telephoto lens that auto-focuses...and you are talking big bucks here, considering how far surfers usually are from where you might be able to snap some photos...

You are on a budget and that makes it really hard for most people using the d40 cause lenses are so expensive cause they are so new...You might consider picking up a d50, selling the d40 so you can purchase lenses that are older and considerably less in price...
    Romina Ludovico
    edited April 11, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    I believe you may be incorrect with this statement. Nikon released the 60/2.8 micro in AFS just recently...

Sorry I do not consider a micro lens a prime lens, plus on Nikons site, they do not list that under their "standard lenses"...Just like a 105mm micro is not considered a prime lens...So I do not think that is an incorrect statement...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Sorry I do not consider a micro lens a prime lens, plus on Nikons site, they do not list that under their "standard lenses"...Just like a 105mm micro is not considered a prime lens...So I do not think that is an incorrect statement...

The 60 and 105 are primes. Any lens that is not a zoom is a prime. The 60 and 105 are both fine for "regular" photography; they just have the added bonus of being able to focus from a near distance to the subject.

If you are committed to the D40 and auto-focus and surfing, the AF-S 300 f/4 is a relatively affordable option (~$1100 new). I love mine. It works well with the TC-14E, giving you a 420 f/5.6. Having never photographed surfing, I have no idea if that'd be sufficient.
    Tim
    edited April 12, 2008
    The 60 and 105 are primes. Any lens that is not a zoom is a prime. The 60 and 105 are both fine for "regular" photography; they just have the added bonus of being able to focus from a near distance to the subject.

Yes, but how many people do you know say, "wow a need a primes lens?" and they get a 200mm micro lens? not very many people, most people are talking about the standard none micro lenses :D
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited April 13, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    Ummm... a prime lens has a fixed focal length and unlike a zoom lens you need your feet for zoom. Most good micro/macro lenses are primes. So I think it may be time to read and educate...

http://www.photocritique.us/digital-camera-glossary/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_lens
    It has nothing to do with education, the many photographers I have talked to when talking about prime lenses do not say, I really need a prime lens and I am thinking a fixed focal length of 500mm they are usually referring to most of the smaller standard lenses (i.e nikon 50mm or 85mm), does this mean it is correct? no, but just kind of how the cards lie...So I do not need an education...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 13, 2008
    There are two broad classifications of lens design in current production:

1) Fixed focal length, commonly called "prime" lenses.
    2) Variable focal length, commonly called "zoom" lenses.

All current "true" 1:1, 35mm format macro lenses are indeed fixed focal length, thus, by definition, prime lenses.

The terms "macro" and "prime" are not mutually exclusive and may be appropriate to use simultaneously in describing the same lens.

It is also true that many people do describe "macro" lenses as a "category" of lens and therefore, exclusive. Indeed the sorting and indexing structures of most retail outlets selling lenses reinforces that concept.

BTW, true 1:1 macro zooms may not be too far in the future. Right now there are zooms capable of 1:2.3 (the Sigma 17-70mm, F2.8-4.5 DC) and even the Tamron 70-300mm, F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2.

This is tantalizingly close to the magnification allowed by, for instance, the Canon EF 50mm, f/2.5 Compact Macro, which is only capable of 1:2 unless you use the optional "Life Size Converter EF". There is nothing to prevent a lens manufacturer from using a similar dedicated "extender" or "close focus diopter" on a lens like the Sigma 17-70mm, F2.8-4.5 DC to provide true 1:1 macro performance with respectable quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums