Advice Requested - Exploring abandoned buildings

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Landscapes
A small group of DGrinners are going to be searching out and photographing abandoned buildings - mostly old farm houses and barns, etc.

I've recently been exposed to material that caused me to think, "I wouldn't have thought of that. I wonder what else I haven't thought of?"

So, I'm looking for tips and best practices ideas. I'm most interested in safety tips, but photography ideas would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Don't forget to bring a first aid kit.... :D

Have fun!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Know the area- what was in the building- who owns it- and the laws relating to trespassing.

Here in AZ most of the abandoned buildings are old mining areas, military, or mission churches.

Not good to be in a military area that is 'off limits' - could be felony trespass and life threatening depending on the area

Not good to be in sacred or tribal member only area of an indian reservation- you can be arrested and car towed on first offense!! Sovereign nation- means they have their own rulesdeal.gif

Not good to be in a miners claim (most life threatening of the 3)

Do your research
    Do not go alone
    Dress properly (hiking boots- pants- long sleeve shirt)
    Don't go unless someone has experience in doing such things

BE SMART not DEAD deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    google "UrbEx" and start reading some forums and looking at the advice given....
  • nightshadownightshadow Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    It is warm enough that it would be important to watch out for snakes, too.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    the first things that come to mind is stableness of structure.
    second is, are my eyes protected.
    third never touch a wire....

forth, if you hear someone yelling and they are loading a shotgun, dont forget to pick up your pack and run like hell.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    the first things that come to mind is stableness of structure.
    second is, are my eyes protected.
    third never touch a wire....

forth, if you hear someone yelling and they are loading a shotgun, dont forget to pick up your pack and run like hell.
    Yeah, the backpack can protect you from the shot!:D
  • Dusty SensibaDusty Sensiba Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Stairs and underground
    Avoid wood staircases, concrete and metal ones are *usually* stable.

Also try to avoid going underground (basements, mines etc) and you won't find yourself pinned or trapped.

Earthquakes in the area? factor that in for abandoned structures.

http://www.vivanewmexico.com/ghosts/guidelin.html

Check these guys out...it's a pretty good list of tips.
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    If you hear banjo music...... RUN!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    SaltFork wrote:
    If you hear banjo music...... RUN!
    As in "The Deer Hunter" ? Yeah, I hear you!
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    As in "The Deer Hunter" ? Yeah, I hear you!

"Deliverance" thumb.gif
  • photographzphotographz Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Ok, as someone that's incredibly interested in abandoned structures, here's my thoughts:

If it's a building, someone owns it and may not prefer you tresspassing. This could lead to meeting the business end of the owner's gun, or finding out what the view from the back of a police car is like. Also, consider this-as a photographer, do you want to display works that advertise that you were trespassing? You may turn off potential clients. My photos of abandoned places are always taken from a public location (usually the street or sidewalk) dispite the fact that I've seen some VERY tempting locations that were too far away to really photograph from the street.

If there are open entry points YOU can fit in, other things can too. Depending on where you are, those things can range from stray dogs to Javalina, and generally none of them will like you disturbing them.

If it's in an urban area, the chances of coming across other humans who may either be exploring it or living there are relatively good. A city near where I live has a huge problem with vacant buildings not only becoming temorary homes for the homeless, but places of "business" for ladies of the night and drug dealers. There are some people you just don't want to meet in an enclosed space, and many could be armed. There's also the latest issue with people stripping structures of copper piping and wiring because scrap is high. I think really old buildings or long vacant ones probably won't attract attention from these theives (since the "good" stuff is probably already gone), but it's also lead to stepped up police interest in activity around these buildings in many places.

Lastly, there's the safety of the structure. If it has a basement, consider the fact that the floors could be rotted badly enough for you to fall through them and seriously injure yourself. Stairs are probably not a good idea to climb-even if the stairs are ok, what about the floors above you will be walking on? If it's industrial, there's the possiblity of dangerous material and toxins-many older factories were full of them and some were used as storage facilities for them. Old drums can leak after years, and you never know what you're stepping in!

All of that said, there are a large number of urban explorers out there that go into these structures all the time. I'd imagine it's hard to hook up with a group of them, as what they are doing is illegal, but your absolute best bet would be to find some experianced explorers to go with. They know what to look out for and where to go and not to go.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Obvious here, but make sure people know where you are going and when you are expected to return! deal.gif