Mary's Senior Portraits

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in People
I think I am all but caught up except for fulfilling orders. Next week is back to two year olds!!!

1-
276896784_7wCYv-L-1.jpg

2-
276900680_wahQY-M-1.jpg

3-
276906927_rb5Nc-M-1.jpg

4-
276917406_Jtepe-M-1.jpg

5-
276920962_FjJwt-M-1.jpg

6-
276925631_qTumm-M-1.jpg

6-
276931731_fVZHJ-M-1.jpg

7-
276938044_sreaq-M-1.jpg

8-
276942658_ygmMr-M-1.jpg

9-
276941082_55FYK-M-1.jpg

10-
276929920_bMAyW-M-1.jpg

11-
276899023_ncReE-L-1.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Beautifully done Jeff. She should be thrilled (so will mom...Laughing.gif) Great job!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Beautifully done Jeff. She should be thrilled (so will mom...Laughing.gif) Great job!

Thanks.

Just for you I will add that they were all captured with a Canon XTi!!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    How tall are you Jeff? :D (j/k)

Great shots as usual thumb.gif
    edited April 9, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    How tall are you Jeff? :D (j/k)

Great shots as usual thumb.gif

Hmmmmm.....

Did someone named urbanaries put you up to this?

I looked back at what I posted. To answer the question I will say that roughly 8 inches to 8 feet was my range that day!!rolleyes1.gif

I am a ladder carrying, camera toting, and not skeered to lay down on the ground kind of guy I guess.

Note: 2 and 11 were shot from standing position at the end of her bench,.... 6, 8, and 9 from the ladder....7- her seated and me standing....1,3,4,5 are pretty self explanitory.
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I wanna be this good! Practice, practice.
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Very nice. Which lens did you use for the majority of the shots?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    #5 and #6 - those are winners! Just love the light and the pose. I'm thinking the crop on #5 could be improved a touch.

Edit, I meant #6a (B&W) and #6b (against brick corner). Didn't notice the numbering foobar.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I like the face and expression, and lighting in #9 most, tho not too convinced about the wall. Hair L face is messed up in some shadow, maybe?
    I also like #11 a lot. It's the most flattering to the subject IMO (clothes & pose, also nice composition, vignetting and color mix), but the perspective is just too high for perfection, I think.

Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    gorgeous girl, I like her edgy look and you captured her quite well!

I love #2 (my, how you've grown!) and #5 has soooo much potential. I really love the setting, processing and overall feel. She may wish she had worn a different outfit, it is not the most flattering photo of her figure. (compared to, say, #3...she looks like a whole different person!) But wow, #5 is a great context for her. I like this side of her personality, would like to see more!

#9 stands out, too. I just love the processing, it is very fitting here. I also love the expression in #7 and think it could stand a little more edge...or contrasty BW...something.

#10 just feels like she's trying to be "those other girls"...the porch, the eyelet dress, the southern belle pose. I don't know this girl personally but it doesn't seem right for her somehow.

These are really fun
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks.

Just for you I will add that they were all captured with a Canon XTi!!
    The Rebel XT/XTi cameras are highly underrated. They have the same sensors as their big brothers. Now, don't get me wrong, I want a 40D or 1DsMkIII :D , but, the XT is an excellent camera IMHO (just use good Lenses like the 50 f/1.4 or my new toy, the 24-70mm f/2.8L thumb.gif )

I'd take a better lens over a better body any day.

David
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    #6a and #7 (did someone point out that there are two #6s :D ) captured so much character. I like the cross processed images except I think the vignetting is touch too heavy. All in all, you continue to be the master....thumb.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    They all have green hue FWIW.

Just Kidding! lol3.gif

I like 1, 3, 5, "9", "10", and "11" though she appears to be poking out her tummy in 10; I don't know how she'd feel about that.

XTi shines again!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited April 10, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    I wanna be this good! Practice, practice.

Well I will take the compliment, but....I am certainly not the most talented around.
    edited April 10, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Very nice. Which lens did you use for the majority of the shots?

#4 utilized the 85mm F1.8 lens. The rest were shot with the 17-55mm F2.8 IS.
    edited April 10, 2008
    #5 and #6 - those are winners! Just love the light and the pose. I'm thinking the crop on #5 could be improved a touch.

Edit, I meant #6a (B&W) and #6b (against brick corner). Didn't notice the numbering foobar.

Thanks Scott. I didn't notice the two 6's either. Makes it fun for everyone else though...rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Scott

What would you suggest for 5? I would like to have put the horizon at 1/3....but....it is a shot on top of the Mississippi River levee in Baton Rouge. If you can imagine, by me backing up I am going also down a steep slope. I think I have left room for a 5x7 with room to play though an 8x10 might be asking too much on that one.
    edited April 10, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    I like the face and expression, and lighting in #9 most, tho not too convinced about the wall. Hair L face is messed up in some shadow, maybe?
    I also like #11 a lot. It's the most flattering to the subject IMO (clothes & pose, also nice composition, vignetting and color mix), but the perspective is just too high for perfection, I think.

Thanks.

Neil

8 and 9 are both from the same press of the shutter in continuous mode. AS for shadows, I prefer some shadows to flat lighting. I am a fan of natural light although the majority of what I do uses some flash as well.
    edited April 10, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    gorgeous girl, I like her edgy look and you captured her quite well!

Uh oh....here it comes!!!!
    I love #2 (my, how you've grown!)

there it was....(funny lynne)
    and #5 has soooo much potential. I really love the setting, processing and overall feel. She may wish she had worn a different outfit, it is not the most flattering photo of her figure. (compared to, say, #3...she looks like a whole different person!) But wow, #5 is a great context for her. I like this side of her personality, would like to see more!

#9 stands out, too. I just love the processing, it is very fitting here. I also love the expression in #7 and think it could stand a little more edge...or contrasty BW...something.
    She was fun......fun to be around for the photos. As for the outfit....I dunno what she will think of the look, but it seemed very "her".
    #10 just feels like she's trying to be "those other girls"...the porch, the eyelet dress, the southern belle pose. I don't know this girl personally but it doesn't seem right for her somehow.

These are really fun
    I agree about the porch shot.....but it was by her request. It is one of my better compositions....IMO...in that spot.WE will see!!

Thanks for the comments.....well except for the "my how you've grown" one.:nono
    edited April 10, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    The Rebel XT/XTi cameras are highly underrated. They have the same sensors as their big brothers. Now, don't get me wrong, I want a 40D or 1DsMkIII :D , but, the XT is an excellent camera IMHO (just use good Lenses like the 50 f/1.4 or my new toy, the 24-70mm f/2.8L thumb.gif )

I'd take a better lens over a better body any day.

David

I agree that an investment in glass trumps one in camera any day.
    edited April 10, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    #6a and #7 (did someone point out that there are two #6s :D ) captured so much character. I like the cross processed images except I think the vignetting is touch too heavy. All in all, you continue to be the master....thumb.gif

Thanks Travis.....but...."Master"?ne_nau.gif

sheeshrolleyes1.gif

I like the vignettes BTW. They were there from LR before jumping to PS to play with different looks. They did darken up a bit in PS, but I am still ok with them.
    edited April 10, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    They all have green hue FWIW.

Just Kidding! lol3.gif

Don't do that to me!!! If you only knew how out of my comfort zone I have been in with the volume of work I have done in the last few weeks.
    I like 1, 3, 5, "9", "10", and "11" though she appears to be poking out her tummy in 10; I don't know how she'd feel about that.

XTi shines again!
    I hear ya on 10. Some like it, some not. One of my other seniors was here day before yesterday to select proofs for print. I kept trying to steer her to a certain shot that I feel is one of the best I have EVER taken. She thought it made her tummy big. Finally she says...I am sorry Mr. Jeff....I have a problem. I told her the problem was not her tummy, but between her ears!!!....and that I would just order that shot for myself.

Anyway time will tell. I will admit....I am the last one on Earth who can guage what they ultimately decide to print. I am constantly amazed at choices.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Scott. I didn't notice the two 6's either. Makes it fun for everyone else though...rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Scott

What would you suggest for 5? I would like to have put the horizon at 1/3....but....it is a shot on top of the Mississippi River levee in Baton Rouge. If you can imagine, by me backing up I am going also down a steep slope. I think I have left room for a 5x7 with room to play though an 8x10 might be asking too much on that one.
    My crop idea is for 6a, not #5. For 6a, I would try to get her face out of the center of the frame, maybe move it up to the upper left 1/3 point - if you have the room in the original to do that.
    edited April 10, 2008
    My crop idea is for 6a, not #5. For 6a, I would try to get her face out of the center of the frame, maybe move it up to the upper left 1/3 point - if you have the room in the original to do that.

That actually is the original crop. I could fudge it a tad on a wallet or 5x7....IF she wants prints of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

FWIW this is one other that I chose to do in BW. I liked the "canoes" in her eyes.

276901257_4B278-M-1.jpg
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I think #3 is really nice!
    edited April 11, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I think #3 is really nice!

Thanks for commenting Jan!!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Great set of photos! bowdown.gif
    1, 3, 6, 6B, 7, & 8 are my favorite shots.
    I love the pose in #3 even if, the eyes are soft.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://aperturefocus.smugmug.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited April 12, 2008
    Great set of photos! bowdown.gif
    1, 3, 6, 6B, 7, & 8 are my favorite shots.
    I love the pose in #3 even if, the eyes are soft.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://aperturefocus.smugmug.com

No softness of the eyes in 3. Maybe the effect of resize as I don't put up the XL's and up.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Jeff, these are awesome as always!!!
    edited April 14, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Jeff, these are awesome as always!!!

Thanks David. I can always count on you to boost my ego!!!:D
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    You've got a lot of different looks here -- create work wtih your POV.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
    edited April 16, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    You've got a lot of different looks here -- create work wtih your POV.

Thanks for commenting. She is scheduled to come by tommorrow night to choose proofs for print. I cannot wait to see what she chooses!