• RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Tack Sharp!!! thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Those are all really nice, I especially like #2, it seems the most relaxed and natural. Good work and congrats on the joy of new glass!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    It is a super fun lens to use. I like to use F4 for head and shoulder shots. It gets really sharp in that range. I also use it plenty wide open. The only weakness I have found is the tendency for purple fringing at wide apertures.

Nice shots!!...and yes great Bokeh.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Wow... Those look great. Nice work, Dad.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    As has already been noted, these are nice and sharp - well done there. And #2 is a very nice and relaxed pose, making #2 my favorite. As for being a little hot - well, maybe. That can be dialed back a touch in ACR and/or with a gentle levels adjustment curve in PS. thumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Beautiful shots! you've convinced me to dust mine off and start using it again!

Echo what's been said about #2. I'd be surprised though if it prints as hot as you might think it is on your monitor.

Lovely subject, btw! The clarity tool in LR is really good at making freckles "pop", fyi.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I don't print much but when I do, I have trouble with matching. My screen is so bright that when it looks right on the screen it is dark in print.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    thumb.gif on all with #2 being the fave. Funny how those "cheap, old lenses" are the greatest for tack sharp images with great bokeh.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I love #2, if it is a little hot than i like hot :)
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    thumb.gif on all with #2 being the fave. Funny how those "cheap, old lenses" are the greatest for tack sharp images with great bokeh.

I am still getting used to $350 being cheap, but i suppose in this world it is. I have about 6000 on my wish list at B and H and I am sure when I start buying those L lenses, this will seem very cheap.
    edited April 10, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I don't print much but when I do, I have trouble with matching. My screen is so bright that when it looks right on the screen it is dark in print.
    If you haven't already, calibrate your monitor. Also, SmugMug printing is really quite good!
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Oh you know, I better calibrate my monitor too, how often should you do that?
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
    edited April 10, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I am still getting used to $350 being cheap, but i suppose in this world it is. I have about 6000 on my wish list at B and H and I am sure when I start buying those L lenses, this will seem very cheap.

I feel your pain. My least expensive lens is, I think, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or the EF 50mm f/1.4. The rest run from $600 for the 10-22 to the $1.700 for the 70-200 f/2.8L IS (ouch!!).
    BriShay wrote:
    Oh you know, I better calibrate my monitor too, how often should you do that?
    Different people say different things. I try to calibrate about once a month. Others, with a more critical eye to color, do it more often. The color response of monitors does shift and degrade with time and the calibration is an attempt to counter and adjust for those changes.

Remember to calibrate only after the monitor has been up and running for at least 1/2 hour. This gives the monitor time to stabilize.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I feel your pain. My least expensive lens is, I think, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or the EF 50mm f/1.4. The rest run from $600 for the 10-22 to the $1.700 for the 70-200 f/2.8L IS (ouch!!).

Different people say different things. I try to calibrate about once a month. Others, with a more critical eye to color, do it more often. The color response of monitors does shift and degrade with time and the calibration is an attempt to counter and adjust for those changes.

Remember to calibrate only after the monitor has been up and running for at least 1/2 hour. This gives the monitor time to stabilize.

I find that my CRTs need to be calibrated like every 2 weeks, the LCDs more like once a month. I have an eye1 but the hueys are good and CHEAP.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Good! I see some color difference there but that is a quick fix if you have Photoshop. I have this lens too and am trying to love it, but haven't found the love yet. Maybe I just need to use it more!