Whats are these?

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited April 11, 2008 in Holy Macro
The first shot needs an ID. They look like fleas to me. The other two are from the same outing. MM

277372532_yufhg-XL.jpg

277372915_rSJ35-L.jpg

277373454_wLVqS-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Lovely series - esp like #2 interesting use of DOF.
    Bugs in #1 are aphids - piercing stylet on the front and twin exhaust pipes on the back of the abdomen are very characteristic.

Brian V.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I really like #2 !

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    They look like a clone army!
    Thanks Brian, hey why is it some day I can get the lighting OK then others I just cant seem to get it right? MM
    Lovely series - esp like #2 interesting use of DOF.
    Bugs in #1 are aphids - piercing stylet on the front and twin exhaust pipes on the back of the abdomen are very characteristic.

Brian V.
    — Lord Byron
    edited April 10, 2008
    Thank you very much!
    I liked it too, until I got it home and... still liked it but wish it was better in focus. MM

tlee wrote:
    I really like #2 !
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Thanks Brian, hey why is it some day I can get the lighting OK then others I just cant seem to get it right? MM

Re the light - assume they are flash ?

You need to take account of the background when using flash. If the background is dark or is far away from the subject then apply -ve FEC upto 1 stop. If the background is bright and close apply +ve FEC upto one stop.
    The exposure control for flash is similar to normal exposure control so the camera tries to do an average exposure for an 18% grey card. If most of the frame is darker than this it will overexpose the subject and vice versa with a light background. Problem with macro you are much more likely to be getting fairly monotone/even backgrounds than with normal photography.

Brian V.
    edited April 11, 2008
    Thanks again.
    Re the light - assume they are flash ?

You need to take account of the background when using flash. If the background is dark or is far away from the subject then apply -ve FEC upto 1 stop. If the background is bright and close apply +ve FEC upto one stop.
    The exposure control for flash is similar to normal exposure control so the camera tries to do an average exposure for an 18% grey card. If most of the frame is darker than this it will overexpose the subject and vice versa with a light background. Problem with macro you are much more likely to be getting fairly monotone/even backgrounds than with normal photography.

Brian V.

Yes it is flash.
    I think I followed you pretty well with that... I will give it a try this weekend. Thanks MM
    — Lord Byron
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    The first shot needs an ID. They look like fleas to me. The other two are from the same outing. MM

Aphids are not all green :D your little team here have their heads down and their bottoms up.

Your doing really well with your Macro's Teamracephotos clap.gif
    Nice Work thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 11, 2008
    Skippy Thank you!
    I feel I am very lucky... I get to take to take pictures almost every day. But for some reason some days the turn out better then others. MM
    Skippy wrote:
    Aphids are not all green :D your little team here have their heads down and their bottoms up.

Your doing really well with your Macro's Teamracephotos clap.gif
    Nice Work thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    — Lord Byron