Mainly Portraits - Help

idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Cameras
Body: Canon Xti

I mainly shoot outdoor portraits (and candids of my girls). I have a Canon 50 mm 1.8, and I know it's a great lens for the price. However, I am ready to move to the next level in glass (or body if necessary). If I got another body, I would obviously sell mine, but I am really satisfied with the Xti for now.

I need some lens suggestions for what I do. We are taking a family trip to Disney next month (I have read the thread on this earlier), so I would like the next lens I get to be a bit versatile for that reason. We do a lot of traveling as a family.

I know I could spend thousands, but on my teacher salary :rolleyes I'm looking at less than $500.00 if possible. I don't have a problem going with a "non-Canon" lens as long as it is up to par.

I have the kit lens, but I am not fond of it at all.

Another thing that I have questions about is the flash. There is, of course, the camera flash and I have a cheap external flash, but I have never had it do anything but ruin my pictures (I'm sure that has more to do with me than anything). Is there a stock flash that would be good for indoor shots, even though I don't do many of those at all? Another note: the indoor shots I take are in low light usually (skating rinks, etc.)

Thanks!

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Get the Tamron 28-75/2.8. You will never regret it. Best bang for the buck. Pop up often on the Flea Market, but is very affordable new.

Get the Canon 430EX. Great flash, good price pt, E-TTL II so it works great with the XTi. Also, it isnt so big that it makes the XTi hard to handle (like the 580).

I have both this lens and this flash, use them all the time.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I am real pleased with my Canon 28 - 200. It won't be near as sharp as your 1.8, but still a good lens. Not a great lens, but the price is right, around $350

The 430x flash is good. Around $250
  • idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Thanks a bunch. I was just looking at the borrowlenses.com site and I am considering renting a couple of lenses for our Disney trip. Any suggestions? Price is really not an option since their prices are so good.

Any filter suggestions too?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 10, 2008
    Eva,

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS is a great general purpose lens for the Canon crop 1.6x cameras.

The Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM is a rather nice super-wide zoom.

The Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS is great and fairly compact telephoto zoom.

Add the EF 50mm, f1.8 that you own (or the EF 50mm, f1.4) and you have a very nice basic travel kit.

I am partial to the Sigma EF-500 DG Super E-TTL flashes as they provide similar function to the Canon 580EX flash, but with the power and price similar to the Canon 430EX flash. The EF-500 is getting hard to find and has been replaced by the EF-530 model which I understand is a little more money and power.

A bargain flash is the Sunpak 383 Super which is an auto and manual flash but otherwise very useful.

I highly recommend using these flashes (including the Canon flashes) with a couple of simple light modifiers which you can build easily yourself at very low cost:

A better bounce card:

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

... and a "scoop":

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

You can build both for about $6USD and each has some unique advantages.

The Joe Demb Flip-It is a commercial device and pretty nice as an alternative to the "better bounce" and a bit more adjustable.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

P.S. I own each and every one of the products I listed except for the Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS which is my very next purchase. (I currently have the Canon EF 70-200mm, f/2.8L which is a sweet lens but not exactly ideal for travel.) I recommend what I use myself and find to work.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    idoteech wrote:
    Thanks a bunch. I was just looking at the borrowlenses.com site and I am considering renting a couple of lenses for our Disney trip. Any suggestions? Price is really not an option since their prices are so good.

Any filter suggestions too?

Eva, another possibility is the Canon 28-135 IS. Nice lens.

As for borrowlenses, I would check out the 24-105L, the 17-55/2.8, and has it as well. For Disney, and wide angle will be loads of fun..try out the Canon 10-22 or the Sigma 10-20
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I suggest the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    Tamron makes good lenses but, has a habit of using alphabet soup designations for their lenses.

I suggest the
    Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

I don't have the Tamron but, have the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and I do like the focal range. Although the Tamron doesn't have IS, that feature is not (IMO) critical in a lens of this focal length.

I have a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens and the lens is very well built and provides excellent IQ. The Tamron 17-50mm has a constant f/2.8 aperture and has excellent reviews.

It will match up very well with either the 70-200mm f/4L (IS or non-IS) or the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lenses for a two lens outfit which will cover many, if not most, photo needs.

I have not missed a wider angle (I have a 12-24mm Tokina but, seldom use it) than 17mm and I certainly don't miss the 55-70mm focal range.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    The Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS is a sweet lens, but it is a bit ($400) over your stated budget. If you can swing it, you won't regret it though.

As someone mentioned, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is a very, very nice lens. Especially for outdoor work. On the XTi, it might not be wide enough for the Disney trip - it's been years since I've been there, but I understand that your shooting room may be limited by crowds.

I've heard some very nice things about the Tammy 17-50. Check it out - it may be just what the doctor ordered.

Any of these will easily allow you to leave the kit lens at home.

As for replacing your XTi. If it works and is not limiting your photography, and I suspect it's not a limiting factor for you at this time, I would strongly recommend that you NOT replace it. It's a sweet camera.