Options

How big can I go?

ShutterbugmomShutterbugmom Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Finishing School
Since going digital, I'm still a little confused with printing larger images and how cropping effects final image quality and size maximum. :scratch Like, how do you know how big you can print an image and still have it look awesome? For instance...if I crop it from its original size, I know it can't be printed as large as before I cropped without upresing it. But, how do I check it to see how big of a print I can make without it looking soft and/or pixelated? Is there a chart for this? Like so many pixels=up to so many inches in print? Or, is there a mathematical equation for it?

Thanks in advance, for your help.
http://shekinahphotography.com
Worshipping the Creator and capturing His awesome creation!

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    I would rather not send less than 180 pixels per inch to an output device. Figure out the total number of pixels you have, divide by 180, that would give you an idea of the size (based on viewing distance too).

180 to 440PPI is a good range for most output devices (certainly ink jet).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Since going digital, I'm still a little confused with printing larger images and how cropping effects final image quality and size maximum. headscratch.gif Like, how do you know how big you can print an image and still have it look awesome? For instance...if I crop it from its original size, I know it can't be printed as large as before I cropped without upresing it. But, how do I check it to see how big of a print I can make without it looking soft and/or pixelated? Is there a chart for this? Like so many pixels=up to so many inches in print? Or, is there a mathematical equation for it?

A few things come into play: viewing distance (see this thread), and the actual image: you could probably get away with lower dpi if the image is a soft, fog-bound forest, vs say, most macro photography.

You will find a lot of "experts" online who will recommend 250-300 dpi, but I have had excellent results at 180-200 dpi. (That's an 8x10 on a 3 megapixel camera, if I did my math right.)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    In addition to the excellent advice above, please look at the recommendations from SmugMug central:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ShutterbugmomShutterbugmom Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Thank you all so much for your help! thumb.gif
    http://shekinahphotography.com
    Worshipping the Creator and capturing His awesome creation!
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Just a side note: If you have photoshop you can click image->image size.

UNCHECK the 'Resample Image Box'

change your DPI to whatever you want (I go 300 for small pictures, 180 for larger pics (think how close the audience will be)).

from there (before clicking 'ok') you'll see the physical output size.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I have 24" x 36" prints I got done from files that were just over 2000 x 3000 pixels. They are awesome. I didn't upsize them, the lab may have. So they started at about 83 dpi (dots per inch).

As you go larger less dpi is needed since most will view the print from farther and farther away.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Since going digital, I'm still a little confused with printing larger images and how cropping effects final image quality and size maximum. headscratch.gif Like, how do you know how big you can print an image and still have it look awesome? For instance...if I crop it from its original size, I know it can't be printed as large as before I cropped without upresing it. But, how do I check it to see how big of a print I can make without it looking soft and/or pixelated? Is there a chart for this? Like so many pixels=up to so many inches in print? Or, is there a mathematical equation for it?

One thing you should understand is viewing distance.... I had a client that wanted an enlargement of a small file see saw on one ofthe groups I used to frequent (usa101 now gone) and she wanted it at 30 x 40 inches....she did not underdstand viewing distance and thought it should be of the same quality as an 8 x 10 and viewed from point blank distance....we talked (by email) for almost a week discussing this and I was shocked to find she is a PRO interior designer and did not understand viewing distance....
    My usual thing is to resize in PS in image size, tick constrain proportions and change dpi to 300 or 400 which ever brings you to almost 8 x 10 inches...now I do all PP except sharpening.....after all PP (less sharpening is done) I then open it in Genuine Fractals(still using a trial version good for 20 saved images) and uprez to needed size (normally I go for 30 x 40 inches ) inspect to see how it looks before saving and then save and do sharpening........Genuine Fractals is a 1 step up/down rezing software now sold by Onone software.......I started out using it from the originator Lizard Tech at version 3.0....it was still better than the stair step method of PS but now it is simply a 1 step/clik to the size you want and I really like doing all my enlargements from a 300dpi file to start with.....so far my Pro Printer here opted to use my GF files over his uprezing software that he has been using for a good many years for printing for a Pro Airplane Photographer here in ICT.........so in one since you should be able to go upto 300-600% of original file size.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website