Motorcycle vibrations bad for camera?

PhoberPhober Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Cameras
I'm just wondering if sticking my new digital camera (Sony H7) in the very small tailsection of my bike (06 GSXR750) would harm it. The camera and case just barely fit inside and would bounce right along with every bump I hit and get every vibration from the bike. I'm rather scared to do this since I cover hundreds of kilometers in a day and think this can't be good for a camera.
Does anyone know for sure if I'm right or wrong? What parts of the camera would get damaged from this abuse, if any?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 10, 2008
    I carry my cameras ( 10D, 20D,5D, or 40D, G9 over the years ) in my tank bag on a 1 inch platform of foam rubber, with the camera inside a nylon foam camera case as well. I have had no problems with this in numerous cross country rides on ST1100s, ST1300s, BMW R1150GSs, and Suzuki DR650s.

I carried a 20D with a 35mm lens in a rear saddle bag for days riding double track in Wyoming, without problems, but I would recommend not doing that. I dropped that bike in a water crossing, and the saddle bag was fully submerged for several moments until I could right the bike again.

Camera and lens stayed dry and fully functional, but I learned my lesson!deal.gif My cameras now ride high, in my tank bag, protected by two layers of foam. Bring a rain cover for your tank bag to keep the camera dry in the rain too - I have ridden from New Mexico to Indiana in the rain without camera difficulties.

Zip loc freezer bags are something to remember to keep things dry, and can be found in almost any grocery store, and they're cheaper than GoreTex:D .-
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Phober wrote:
    I'm just wondering if sticking my new digital camera (Sony H7) in the very small tailsection of my bike (06 GSXR750) would harm it.

That would be bad. Get a small tankbag and be happy.
    Tim
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    That would be bad. Get a small tankbag and be happy.

I also agree, but be careful about 10 years ago while falling down in a slow get off i injured my bike when the camera fell between me and the road.
    ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/