Options

A very short trip to Cades Cove

goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited April 25, 2008 in Journeys
For spring break, the family decided to take a trip up to the Great Smoky Mountains. For those of you that haven't been, there are countless oportunities for nature and landscape photography in the park. One of the most visited areas is Cades Cove. Typically the cove is a nature photographers paradise.

While we were there for 4 days, the schedule only allowed me to make one trip out during our visit. This means a 5:30AM wake up time in order to drive over from our cabin and to beat the sunrise.

I always love the sunrise in Cades Cove. There is usually a fog that lays low in the cove floor which makes for some interesting shots.
277693150_zqGym-M.jpg

You are almost certain to see deer in the cove.
277693157_FyevH-M.jpg

Sometimes even an action shot (although I wasn't quite ready for this one).
277693158_VuZj7-M.jpg

A couple more deer in a nice setting:
277693164_LsmH9-M.jpg

What are you looking at?
277693178_MuNdi-M.jpg

Another action shot:
277693181_9dZ9i-M.jpg

Now for a few landscape shots without the wildlife. I notice the fog rolling over the tops of the mountains for the next few shots.
277693185_8L7V4-M.jpg

277693197_UwDRT-M.jpg

There are a few of the old buildings left from years ago when this area was home to a few families.

The Cades Cove Methodist Church. This is a photo from behind the church. I was hoping for more foliage, but spring has not really sprung yet in the cove. I think I will try this shot again in the fall for some more color.
277693189_jsnGF-M.jpg

And of course, the obligitory shot of the Cantilever Barn.
277693208_NWaAt-M.jpg

From the other side of the Cantilever barn:
277693209_qEn3K-M.jpg

Carter Shields place (maybe):
277693215_z5YRt-M.jpg

Sometimes the deer let you get really close:
277693220_AW3ZM-M.jpg

There are also several places around the cove for some good waterfall shots. By the time I got around to getting the tripod out for the water, it was really too late in the morning for the shots I like to get. The sun was a little too high and too bright. (Note to self, make sure to bring the 72 to 77 adaptor to be able to use my ND4 filter for the longer exposures).
277693202_VaBD9-M.jpg

More to come...
Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    That was it for the morning in Cades Cove. I ran out of time and needed to get back to the cabin. We had to get back to driving go carts in Pigeon Forge and don't forget the Outlet malls, plus, I needed to restock on mountain taffy, fudge and pecan logs.

I was pretty happy with what I got that morning, but I also wanted the wife and kid to get to see Cades Cove. After all, I have been there countless times for photography and they had never been. So it was set, we would go there for the evening for a horse drawn carriage ride through the cove and maybe a picknik.

Well, the go carts took longer than expected so we ate a quick bite for dinner and decided to just drive the cove. All worked out well. When we got into the cove, the horses were out grazing in the pasture.

I really liked the setting sun backlighting the white horses:
    277693221_gxKQm-M.jpg

And the brown horses:
    277693224_83H5F-M.jpg

and all the horses:
    277693227_HX79C-M.jpg

We stopped in the back of the loop at the Cable Mill area. There are several buildings in this area including the Mill, a house and several barns not to mention some old farming equipment.
    277693231_3fjRF-M.jpg

The old mill:
    277693232_8Ev25-M.jpg

The rest of the five miles of the loop was pretty dark as the sun had already set. But there were still photographic opportunities:
    277693236_9MPFc-M.jpg

That is about it for the cove. I have a few more pictures to share from the ride across the mountain towards Cherokee, NC on the way back home. Back with those in a little bit...
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    The final post
    I was hoping for a much better selection of flowers and trees blooming for spring, but we were just a week or two early this year. I did want to check out an area that is known for it's wildflowers.

The trail is located at the beginning of the Chimney Tops picnik area. I was in luck, there were a few flowers blooming. And best of all, the wife and kid went on the hike with meclap.gif

One of the little white flowers:
    277693238_HMmrz-M.jpg

White Trillium:
    277693241_4uG8P-M.jpg

More
    277693246_zVRzf-M.jpg

Yellow Trillium
    277693255_pSfuZ-M.jpg

This is what the entire forest floor looks like throughout the trail:
    277714905_Uobvy-M.jpg

I just liked the look of this old tree's roots (it must have fallen years ago)
    277693243_MSfyW-M.jpg

And of course, a few shots of my partners on the trail.
    The trail blazer:
    277696257_tZJMa-M.jpg

He has his own camera, but decided to just bring his binoculars so he could scope out our path:
    277696262_9h6Rv-M.jpg

The two most important people in my life:
    277696274_8MXTq-M.jpg

And now, for those of you who have stuck it out through this post, one more wildlife shot.

I have only seen one bear in the GSMNP over many years visiting. I told my son to keep his eyes out while we were driving and he might see a bear. Well, sure enough, my better half spotted one on the side of the road. We had to drive for a while before I could get turned around, but the back track was worth it. These are not the best pictures since the sun was straight up, but still, it is the closest I have ever been (and care to be) to a black bear.
    277693136_fYaY9-M.jpg

He was hungry and just looking for food, so he didn't mind all the cars stopping on the side of the road.
    277693143_5wTVi-M.jpg

277693145_dq53x-M.jpg

That's it folks, that's my one and a half day of shooting in the park. I hope you enjoyed.

Thanks for looking,
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    This is a gorgeous place. I have never visited the Smokey Mountains and after veiwing your pictures it is now a must visit. Thank you for the shareclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Absolutely wonderful series! My photography class went to the Cove in March and we had a big time, it's a wonderful place to shoot!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Beautiful work!

Thanks for sharing,

Andyw
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Thanks
    for the trip down memory lane!
    Regards, Davidclap.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    Dadwtwins, Thanks for the comments. Funny thing is, I would love to spend some time out on the west coast. I guess we all get used to what is close.

Lenscap, I don't know how you do it living in Knoxville. I think I would be MIA every weekend with all the trails and places to shoot.

1andyw, thanks for the comment.

Davemy98, thanks for the comment. So how long has it been since you were in the smokies?
    Goofry

A bunch of Canon Stuff.