Options

Which software for RAW conversions?

jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
edited April 2, 2005 in Finishing School
I hope you experienced folks can give me a bit of guidance in choosing software for loading RAW files into Photoshop.

I'll be getting my new Nikon D70 next week, and plan to do some experimenting with RAW files. I have no experience with this. I have Photoshop 7.01, but I don't think it will accept RAW files. I understand there is a plugin from Adobe for $99 which will handle this. Alternatively, as a faculty member, I can get Photoshop Elements 3.0 for $28, but PE has some limitations (which may not be important to me as a beginner). I could also get Photoshop CS for about $200, but I'm not sure I want to shell out that much until I decide if I'm gonna get serious about this.

What do you folks suggest? Are there some third-party options out there I should consider?

Thanks again for your help.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    There is a lot of good info given by people to me here just the other day.

I use Rawshooter & find it does what i need it to do & its free.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    I hope you experienced folks can give me a bit of guidance in choosing software for loading RAW files into Photoshop.

I'll be getting my new Nikon D70 next week, and plan to do some experimenting with RAW files. I have no experience with this. I have Photoshop 7.01, but I don't think it will accept RAW files. I understand there is a plugin from Adobe for $99 which will handle this. Alternatively, as a faculty member, I can get Photoshop Elements 3.0 for $28, but PE has some limitations (which may not be important to me as a beginner). I could also get Photoshop CS for about $200, but I'm not sure I want to shell out that much until I decide if I'm gonna get serious about this.

What do you folks suggest? Are there some third-party options out there I should consider?

Thanks again for your help.

If you're buying a D70 and lens(es), then you're already sticking a toe in the deep end. To get the most out of your images, you're going to use your Photoshop a lot. Might as well poney up and make PS work for you. Spend then $200, upgrade to CS. You're in an expensive game, might as well do it right.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    If you're buying a D70 and lens(es), then you're already sticking a toe in the deep end. To get the most out of your images, you're going to use your Photoshop a lot. Might as well poney up and make PS work for you. Spend then $200, upgrade to CS. You're in an expensive game, might as well do it right.
    Yeah...ive had PS6 for over 2 years now & i tend to forget its costs but i could not live without it.

If i was to start out then i would buy them both in one.

Or if you want to do it on the cheap side you could buy a 2nd hand PS6 & then down load Raw shooter for free. RS wont get into PS6 as a plug in but i find it ok as a stand alone.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yeah...ive had PS6 for over 2 years now & i tend to forget its costs but i could not live without it.

If i was to start out then i would buy them both in one.

Or if you want to do it on the cheap side you could buy a 2nd hand PS6 & then down load Raw shooter for free. RS wont get into PS6 as a plug in but i find it ok as a stand alone.
    Note that I already have PS7. What do you mean by both ne_nau.gif ?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Note that I already have PS7. What do you mean by both ne_nau.gif ?
    By both i ment a version of PS that will take CS ...im not too up on it but it is mentioned in the above link. As i use PS6 i cant process RAW in it & then (for example) go straight into curves, sizing.

I have to do my RAW conversion in Raw Shooter...save as Jpeg & then open that Jpeg in PS 6 to do curves..sizing etc.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    By both i ment a version of PS that will take CS ...im not too up on it but it is mentioned in the above link. As i use PS6 i cant process RAW in it & then (for example) go straight into curves, sizing.

I have to do my RAW conversion in Raw Shooter...save as Jpeg & then open that Jpeg in PS 6 to do curves..sizing etc.
    Thanks, 'gus. I followed your first link and got a lot of info (plus some great yuks from your humor - if I ever get to Oz I'm gonna look you up).

Looks like PS Elements 3.0 is the best deal for me. Waitin' to see if Andy is gonna weigh in on this thread.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Thanks, 'gus. I followed your first link and got a lot of info (plus some great yuks from your humor - if I ever get to Oz I'm gonna look you up).

Looks like PS Elements 3.0 is the best deal for me. Waitin' to see if Andy is gonna weigh in on this thread.
    No worries...andy is without doubt the PhotoShop Queen of D/grin.

You sure you want to look me up ?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Hey JT,

The best software for RAW conversion is Nikon's Capture ($99.00). I do 90% of my post processing on it. You can download a free 30 day trial version of it from Nikon's website. If you decide to go with it e-mail me and I can send you pre-sets for the D70 that can be used within Capture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey JT,

The best software for RAW conversion is Nikon's Capture ($99.00). I do 90% of my post processing on it. You can download a free 30 day trial version of it from Nikon's website. If you decide to go with it e-mail me and I can send you pre-sets for the D70 that can be used within Capture.
    Thanks, Harry. I've seen it highly recommended elsewhere also. After conversion with NC, do you then use PS ?

The Nikon web page says:

Remote Camera Control - controls most shooting settings, and allows images to be downloaded directly to a computer.

Have you tried this? Looks like an interesting toy.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    I've only used PS CS to do my RAW processing. I've done a little work with RAW files from a D100 and worked with a bunch of files from my Canon G5. I've been happy with CS.

I'll throw in another vote for going ahead and getting CS. You wont regret it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

I use Rawshooter & find it does what i need it to do & its free.
    The Rawshooter web site offers a "free trial" download with no mention of what the ultimate price will be :uhoh. I hate to give out my name and e-mail address without knowing what I'm getting into. I'm not sure I trust an outfit that tries to suck you in before you know what it's going to cost!

Do they ever tell you what the price is after the free trial period ?
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    The Rawshooter web site offers a "free trial" download with no mention of what the ultimate price will be :uhoh. I hate to give out my name and e-mail address without knowing what I'm getting into. I'm not sure I trust an outfit that tries to suck you in before you know what it's going to cost!

A news letter that I got from them states:

Is it really for FREE?

The most commonly asked question we receive at Pixmantec concerns our strategy for a FREE product, after all nothing ever comes for FREE, does it? Well, yes it does. RawShooter essentials 2005 will be FREE forever more. There are no hidden catches and no expiry date; it is quite simply a superb FREE gift to the digital photographer community from one of the most exciting and innovative teams in the world of digital imaging. We understand that some users have been given the impression that the product is only FREE for a trial period, as eluded to by the messaging received during product download. However, we can categorically state that Rawshooter essentials 2005 will be FREE for ever and that messages received to the contrary are merely a function of the services of our e-commerce partner.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Thanks, Harry. I've seen it highly recommended elsewhere also. After conversion with NC, do you then use PS ?

The Nikon web page says:

Remote Camera Control - controls most shooting settings, and allows images to be downloaded directly to a computer.

Have you tried this? Looks like an interesting toy.
    Hey JT,

I will do most of my post work in Capture (adjusting exposure, color correction, WB adjustment, sharpening, contrast). In PS I will usually crop the shot and apply USM for local contrast enhancement. If necessary I will also do a layer mask.

I haven't used the remot stuff yet but I've used Capture to load custom curves to my cameras.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    A news letter that I got from them states:

Is it really for FREE?

The most commonly asked question we receive at Pixmantec concerns our strategy for a FREE product, after all nothing ever comes for FREE, does it? Well, yes it does. RawShooter essentials 2005 will be FREE forever more. There are no hidden catches and no expiry date; it is quite simply a superb FREE gift to the digital photographer community from one of the most exciting and innovative teams in the world of digital imaging. We understand that some users have been given the impression that the product is only FREE for a trial period, as eluded to by the messaging received during product download. However, we can categorically state that Rawshooter essentials 2005 will be FREE for ever and that messages received to the contrary are merely a function of the services of our e-commerce partner.
    Well this is good news - thanks for communicating it. Guess I'll give it a shot. Have you been pleased with the product?
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Well this is good news - thanks for communicating it. Guess I'll give it a shot. Have you been pleased with the product?
    I am very please with it.A note though,its only for windows xp and 2000.Also I have read that there could be some problems with non intel.
    Read all the facts first.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I am very please with it.A note though,its only for windows xp and 2000.Also I have read that there could be some problems with non intel.
    Read all the facts first.
    Windows XP on Intel - that's me thumb.gif, though I really prefer Linux iloveyou.gif.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    jthomas wrote:

Thats exactly what my reply was to Micheal in the thread i linked to from memory...(its a cloudy memory though)

It is totally free...dont give them your home email... i would have 10 email addresses. Open one somewhere else & give them that.

I love it...so easy to use.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats exactly what my reply was to Micheal in the thread i linked to from memory...(its a cloudy memory though)

It is totally free...dont give them your home email... i would have 10 email addresses. Open one somewhere else & give them that.

I love it...so easy to use.
    Yeah, I have a junk e-mail account too. I did download and install RSE, but find it won't recognize RAW files from my Nikon Coolpix 5700. Oh well, should get the D70 Monday. I'll post something of my progress next week.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    Yeah, I have a junk e-mail account too. I did download and install RSE, but find it won't recognize RAW files from my Nikon Coolpix 5700. Oh well, should get the D70 Monday. I'll post something of my progress next week.
    I assumed it read several diff RAW files. I have been recommending it to friends so i will have to go & have a read now to see its parameters.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I assumed it read several diff RAW files. I have been recommending it to friends so i will have to go & have a read now to see its parameters.
    There is a thread going on the Pixmantics Forum about disappearing RAW files:
    http://forum.pixmantec.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2824/an/0/page/0#2824
    Maybe that's what I'm experiencing...