Midnight in Downtown SD

The SlothThe Sloth Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited April 13, 2008 in People
I was meandering around downtown in the middle of the night looking for a different perspective and saw this man standing outside this little pizza place. Not an amazing photo, but it caught my attention. Feedback?

40D, 2 seconds @ F/13 ISO 400

_MG_2027-1.jpg
You can see it all here.
If they dont want their picture taken, then please hide or leave. :D

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Great catch! I like it! I'm a sucker for those night time store fronts :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I may be biased 'cause this is my home town, mwink.gif but I really like this photo. I like the way the man is lit by the storefront lights, and like the muted colors and textures. Personally I think you've got a really nice environmental capture.

I am a bit distracted by the orange cone in the foreground. It's too bad you couldn't slip over there and remove it before capturing this image. I also wished your ISO was higher so you could bump up your shutter and limit the motion blur on the man's face.

I am also a little distracted by the signs hanging in the dry cleaning shop to the left. Have you tried cropping off the left side a bit, maybe to about where the pizza store-front begins? Just enough to crop off that signage and loose the contrasty tiles in the upper left corner. It's hard to tell on my monitor, but that might also put the man more solidly on the thirds line.

But, really, those are nitpicks. This is a very nice photo to me. I could easily see something like this hanging on my wall. Good work! clap.gif
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Great shot! I like everything about it. The motion on the man's face normally would bother me, but since the scene is basically a still-life, the motion adds brings some 'life' to the shot. Very cool! thumb.gif