Easy way to upload my folder tree?

puttyputty Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited April 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hey all. I just signed up for SmugMug and I'm giving it a try. I like what I see so far but I have to say that the categories & subcat's take some getting used to. I have thousands of photos all in folders & subfolders on my PC and I'm looking for an easy way to upload them as they are organized. I'd prefer to no have to create categories & subcategories now for every folder & subfolder as there are ~1500 of them.

Every attempt so far to upload a folder that has subfolders inside has reulted in all photos being lumped into 1 album. I tried Star Explorer and SendToSmugMug.

Any ideas? TIA.

Comments

• stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I dont think it is possible. I am not aware of any way to generate categories and sub categories other than 'manually' on Smugmug.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    You might try using SmugBrowser to create the categories and galleries. You'll still need to create the categories and galleries before you upload, but I believe it will be quicker.

You can get a copy in this thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47484.

--- Denise
  • puttyputty Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    You might try using SmugBrowser to create the categories and galleries. You'll still need to create the categories and galleries before you upload, but I believe it will be quicker.

You can get a copy in this thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47484.

--- Denise

Thanks. I see that it lets you create categories & subcat's but can you go deeper than that on smugmug? I have many that are 4-5 levels (folders) deep.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    putty wrote:
    Thanks. I see that it lets you create categories & subcat's but can you go deeper than that on smugmug? I have many that are 4-5 levels (folders) deep.
    You have categories > subcategories > galleries, so 3 levels.

--- Denise
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    putty wrote:
    Hey all. I just signed up for SmugMug and I'm giving it a try. I like what I see so far but I have to say that the categories & subcat's take some getting used to. I have thousands of photos all in folders & subfolders on my PC and I'm looking for an easy way to upload them as they are organized. I'd prefer to no have to create categories & subcategories now for every folder & subfolder as there are ~1500 of them.

Every attempt so far to upload a folder that has subfolders inside has reulted in all photos being lumped into 1 album. I tried Star Explorer and SendToSmugMug.

Any ideas? TIA.

The third party uploader StarExplorer can automatically upload a directory hierarchy, creating necessary categories, sub-categories and galleries. It is still limited to the 3 levels of Smugmug, but if you arrange your directory hierarchy to fit in that, it can do it. I use StarExplorer regularly for creating multiple galleries at once, all with the same configuration and then uploading images across multiple galleries in one unattended upload.

You can also find the author here on dgrin in this thread.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question