Options

Still Life after Pieter Claesz

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
The latest competition theme at my camera club was still life so I decided to create an image based on a still life painting by Pieter Claesz.

277908599_FeXEN-L.jpg

It was lit with 3 candles, a 12 second exposure and then with flash both sides to get some highlights. The original image had a skull in it but I obviously couldn't get hold of a human skull so decided to see if my local Halal butcher could help. They did give me some funny looks, but were able to supply me with a sheep's head. If you look carefully on the book you can see the original painting referenced.

I was playing on the idea of a 'Still Life' actually being related to Death.
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Wow ! Interesting.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    I love it. I confess that I had to Google Pieter Claesz. Looks like you have captured the spirit well.

Regards,
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    spectacular shot.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Holy crap that's a real goat's head !eek7.gif

I like the shot ! very cool !thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    Raphy wrote:
    Holy crap that's a real goat's head !eek7.gif

I like the shot ! very cool !thumb.gif

Yep its a real sheep's head & once it defrosted I had to put it on some clingfilm when i set up the still life as it was begining to drop blood all over the scene. Even its tongue was still there. It felt a bit 'odd' handling it & realising it had been a living animal. I treated it with respect, but also felt part of a long line of artists who have used animal and human forms to investiagte the world and create art. It was a very peculiar feeling all round, but in the end I just had to treat it as a photographic project or I'm not sure I could have done it.

Would I do it again? Yes I would I think, but there would have to be a 'purpose' to it and it would have to be from an animal that was already dead, not one that I had had killed for the image. Definitely not my usual style :-)

Txs for all the comments.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I don't know what to say...I'm speechless :D

Really nice photo...even with the goats head.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I love it. I confess that I had to Google Pieter Claesz. Looks like you have captured the spirit well.

Regards,
    15524779-Ti.gif

Besides checking google for Claesz, I hit ebay for Skull Props. Wouldn't ya
    know they have some. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Wow! I looked at the skull a couple times and wondered if it was real. Goodness!

Excellent, vangogh! A beautiful shot. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Wow! I looked at the skull a couple times and wondered if it was real. Goodness!

It was very definitiely real :-) & very bloody and a little spooky/uncomfortable
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Raghu Rai
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

Txs!!
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Raghu Rai
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    vangogh wrote:
    The latest competition theme at my camera club was still life so I decided to create an image based on a still life painting by Pieter Claesz.

It was lit with 3 candles, a 12 second exposure and then with flash both sides to get some highlights. The original image had a skull in it but I obviously couldn't get hold of a human skull so decided to see if my local Halal butcher could help. They did give me some funny looks, but were able to supply me with a sheep's head. If you look carefully on the book you can see the original painting referenced.

I was playing on the idea of a 'Still Life' actually being related to Death.

Wow you sure know how to set up a shot eek7.gif gosh
    I looked at the shot before I read the text, and I said to myself my goodness thats a body part in that shot! ... then I read your text rolleyes1.gif

That is a very interesting shot .... very impressive indeed clap.gif
    I'm still looking at it rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin