First Photo With My 40D

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited April 12, 2008 in People
I am very new to photography, so bare with me. I just got my 40D in today and I snapped a few pictures of one of my buddies. Only one turned out somewhat decent. My 430EX comes in tomorrow, so this was taken without a flash

C&C Welcome...

IMG_4120_edited-1Large.jpg

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I'm thinking the WB (White Balance) is off here. Shot in Tungsten light?

Looks like you have plenty of available light there. Just wrong WB and too frontal.
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I'm thinking the WB (White Balance) is off here. Shot in Tungsten light?

Looks like you have plenty of available light there. Just wrong WB and too frontal.
    Don

What is Tungsten light? The room was somewhat dark - it was shot at 640 ISO.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited April 11, 2008
    Indoor incandescent lighting. It is yellower than natural bright daylight.

Your 40D has a WB setting. for indoors w/o flash you have three possible settings. Auto WB which ought to see that it is tungsten lighting. Tungsten (or Fluorescent). or you do a custom WB. You should read up on this in your Camera Manual. Especially how to set a Custom WB.

There is also likely a Tutorial here or a Thread in the Finishing School Forum of DGrin.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • JthmeffyJthmeffy Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    40D, D40 - same thing... wait?
    Current Equipment: Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 28 - 135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
    Coming Soon: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM / Canon Speedlite 430EX II / Good Tripod (Hopefully a Manfrotto with a ballhead)
    edited April 11, 2008
    Jthmeffy wrote:
    40D, D40 - same thing... wait?
    Yup, my mis-type. I shoot Pentax.:D

Don
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    You'll be a lot happier once you learn how to use your flash (chuckle). Notice how your subject's eyes look kinda dead? It's because there's no "catchlight". And the white balsnce is way off, but you have a great camera, and once you learn about three semesters of stuff, you'll be rockin'. Oh, and set your focus point on the eyes.

Hang in there, and keep posting and reading DGrin, cause I've never learned more anyplace than I have here.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    You'll be a lot happier once you learn how to use your flash (chuckle). Notice how your subject's eyes look kinda dead? It's because there's no "catchlight". And the white balsnce is way off, but you have a great camera, and once you learn about three semesters of stuff, you'll be rockin'. Oh, and set your focus point on the eyes.

Hang in there, and keep posting and reading DGrin, cause I've never learned more anyplace than I have here.

15524779-Ti.gif Another suggestion (IMHO) is if you are serious about pursuing this as it sounds like you are, some structured educational courses/classes is invaluable. There are many new things to learn on forums but learning basic photograpic principles will provide you with a great foundation.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 12, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Another suggestion (IMHO) is if you are serious about pursuing this as it sounds like you are, some structured educational courses/classes is invaluable. There are many new things to learn on forums but learning basic photograpic principles will provide you with a great foundation.

Where can I take those classes?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited April 12, 2008
    Where are you? Around here in Massachusetts many School Systems have adult evening classes which include starting photography classes. Community Colleges and Art Museums with classes may have what you want.

Or a local Photo Meet-up group or club.

Don
    edited April 12, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Where are you? Around here in Massachusetts many School Systems have adult evening classes which include starting photography classes. Community Colleges and Art Museums with classes may have what you want.

Or a local Photo Meet-up group or club.

Don

I live in Las Cruces, NM. Do you know of any schools around here?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX