Options

12 Month Journey in South Korea

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited May 3, 2008 in Journeys
Hello all, I would like to let you know I will be creating this thread sort of a photographic blog of my time here in Korea. I would like to start this out with a couple pictures from the bus I was on.

This city is made up of thousands of small stores ranging from small food vendors to refrigerator repiar shops and many more. But one thing you will notice is the large quantities and size of the apartment buildings.
Now many of these are under construction and are building very fast.

277928139_WTEnX-M.jpg

277928143_peTj4-M.jpg

Along with that you will notice the rules of the road many of us have came to know either does not exist or can be beent fairly easily.
277928136_cBM8Q-M.jpg

277928147_8RK6v-M.jpg

I must say further that the photos have been edited on a laptop inwhich I for some reason can get the screen calibrated properly, but my desktop should be here shortly.

Now that I have a decent understanding of the local area and life style I should be able to get out in the streets and other locations to get many more photos and stories to share. I gues that will conclude my first post on this but please stay tuned and feel free to ask as many questions as you please and I will do my best to answer them.

Even though it doesnt quite go along with the flow so far I would like to add a photo taken from the bus leaving Inchion International airport by Soul.
277928133_gu5vv-M.jpg

Ryan
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Papy,

Excellent begining. I am looking forward to trip. Will you identify the cities as you go along?

Thanks for you time and your work.

Andyw
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    1andyw wrote:
    Papy,

Excellent begining. I am looking forward to trip. Will you identify the cities as you go along?

Thanks for you time and your work.

Andyw

Yes I will be identifying cities, I am currently loading pictures from today and made shure I took pictures of road signs and such to get names and locations.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    Well my second weekend trip is complete here. It was yet again a very long walk, we covered ruffly 10 miles on foot again. Which is the reason I will be investing in a bicycle this week. To answer some questions im shure you guys have, the city I have been visiting is known as Gunsan wich is a busy port city off of the yellow sea.

This trip we started in the marina which is full of old and new ships. Now the day was very overcast and threatening to rain a good portion of the day.
    278294698_QHgZK-M.jpg
    This is of the main bone yard portion of it were they are parting one from the old to the new.

278294699_GUCqk-M.jpg
    Along this streatch you will find shops that repair engines and fishing nets.

Now since the fishing season is at its slow point you will see most of the ships either stuck in the mud since the waters have recieded , or up in dry docks to get repaired.

278294714_FBMEA-M.jpg

278294703_tjCra-M.jpg

Now on the farther side of the marina you will find the fish market which is lined with miles of shops and sea food resteraunts. Which also over looks they bay.

278294711_h6dP8-M.jpg

278294712_sBnS3-M.jpg

Now atleast durring this time of the season you will find some small catches of flownder, crustations, squid, sea cucumbers and even sting ray. Now some are keept alive to serve fresh, while others are layed out and dried to be boiled latter on or even ate as a type of jerky I'v been told.

278294720_JM6gK-M.jpg

278294717_DMXP5-M.jpg

278294726_ZH3kC-M.jpg

278294727_LEZ2G-M.jpg

After our time in the marina we headded tword the center of town which contains Eunpa park which is multiple small hills and a lake covering a great part of land in the middle of the city. Now we were only able to cover one of the 4 main hills which was suprssingly unusul for us to get to. You had to climb a winding stairway that looped through old houses on the side of the hill.
    278294730_2n5cW-M.jpg

Now upon reaching the summit you were greated with a very nice view of the many different types of trees and smells.

278294731_Lw5u7-M.jpg

You will also find there is a small restaurant along with more stairs that seam to go a very long way ontop of another summit.

278294732_wYm9A-M.jpg

278294733_4hBep-M.jpg

Once you reach that summit the vew will be more than worth the climb. It provides sight that I have not seen any like while in the states along with a interesting statue at the top. I currently dont know the purpose of the statue but will be looking into it to share the history and meaning with you guys latter.

278294739_5cHc5-M.jpg

278294737_kLwBd-M.jpg

Now that will conclude my second trip into the city known as Gunsan. There should be many more like this along with trips to neighboring cities and the sights they bring. I would like to finish this off with a couple photos that have cought my eye as unusual and inovative forms of transportation around town.
    278294743_PV9DA-M.jpg

278294696_eeMco-M.jpg
    BTW there is three people on this scooter. If you notice by the mans knee you will see a hand of young girl sitting between his legs.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    What an interesting journey. I envy you :D

Keep the photos coming...I'm enjoying them as I was born in South Korea.
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Great thread thanks, I lived in So Korea for about a year in the late 70's, was married to a guy in the Army, every one said I was crazy to go there but I'm glad I went, it was a great experience. Lived in Tokori near the DMZ, spent many a day riding buses touring around.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    Thanks for the comments.
    Dogdots what town were you bornin?
    Summerz would you have any sugjestions on places to visit?

Thanks again more should be on the way this weekend and hopfully every weekend to come.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    Papy wrote:
    Thanks for the comments.

Thanks again more should be on the way this weekend and hopfully every weekend to come.

Ryan

I was born in an orphanage in Seoul. Left there when I was 4 months old and came to beautiful ND :D

Seeing photos of Korea lets me see the country I was born in, but never returned to. So I look forward to you postings.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Papy wrote:
    Thanks for the comments.

Ryan

Oh gosh not really..just be free as a bird lol.
    There are so many pretty country sides and little villages with nooks and crannies.
    DMZ could be an interesting trip.
    I never got in there as there was turbulence at the time and I was a civilian.
    On the Travel channel not long ago I see they give tours.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Ya a dmz tour is defenetly in order I herd they will take you into some of the tunnels that were dug. Sorry for no updates this weekend every body in the group I go with including I were sick and we were unable to make the trip but this comming weekend we should all be well again.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Hope you all feel better soon mwink.gif . Be careful what you eat and drink over there lol. Albeit you can't beat sweet rice and kimchi.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2008
    Well Iv gotten my self into a unusual situation. My tourhere is being cut short by about 11 months. Im about to head out on my last tip into town before the military sends me off to Hickam AB Hawaii to be Medicaly evaluated and see a Medical review board. Reasons why Im going is from some medical problems that have been building up over time. But there is a sad and happy part to this trip. I will be leaving Kunsan which is sad since I have realy enjoyed it here. upside is I will be able to take some pics while in Hawaii but sadly dont know for how long or howmuch time Im going to be given there.

Ryan

Thanks for watching everyone I hope Iv shared some experiences and information that others can use. I will be taking as many pics as I can on this last trip.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    From Korea to Hawaii...with the military you do get to travel.

Hope your feeling better....and get better :D
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    take care
    Looking forward to seeing Hawaii, thumb.gif Have never been there.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    Thanks for the suport, Lol ya traveling is defenetly a new thing for me. Reason why Im going is to be evaluated by a medical board for Medcial discharge. Since I was recently diagnosed with NuroCardiogenic Syncape which basicly meens were a normal persions body tells the heart to speed up mine tell it to slow down. Causing you to get dizzy and even faint some times. Well just stated loading the recent pictures onto my laptop so should be updated very soon.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    Papy wrote:
    Thanks for the suport, Lol ya traveling is defenetly a new thing for me. Reason why Im going is to be evaluated by a medical board for Medcial discharge. Since I was recently diagnosed with NuroCardiogenic Syncape which basicly meens were a normal persions body tells the heart to speed up mine tell it to slow down. Causing you to get dizzy and even faint some times. Well just stated loading the recent pictures onto my laptop so should be updated very soon.

Ryan

Hope all works out for you and there is something that can be done to help your heart work properly.

Looking forward to your next set of photos.