Options

WTB: Compact Flash memory card

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited April 12, 2008 in The Kitchen Sink
I'm looking fot a backup compact flash card 2GB or 4 GB... looking for something on the cheap side in terms of price... I'd prefer Sandisk, but let's see what u got !

Thanks! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    nstamnstam Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    2gb Extreme III
    hey raphy, i have a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III. I bought it two weeks ago to go with my purchase of a used 20D, but the card is not quick enough... I dont know why. It might be a RTM thing. Anyways, I see your from canada too, so it makes it much easier...

asking 40 shipped, without box/instructions. or 50 shipped w/ box/instructions.

~nathan

Raphy wrote:
    I'm looking fot a backup compact flash card 2GB or 4 GB... looking for something on the cheap side in terms of price... I'd prefer Sandisk, but let's see what u got !

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    rex wrote:
    Ditto that. My last 3 cards have been Transcend 133x and I've had zero problems. Newegg nearly always has the best price on them.

I've used Sandisk, Viking, Kingston, and a couple of other brands over time. I'm not religious about flash brands, as they all seem incredibly reliable. Just pay attention to the speed grades for the type of shooting you're doing, and to the environmental specs (if you shoot in extreme cold, hot, or wet conditions).

...Note that just because a card has a certain speed rating, it doesn't mean that your camera can write at that speed, on that card. In particular, the fastest cards (266x, etc) -- which obtain their speed using UDMA technology -- can not be written to at that speed by most current dSLRs (only by the high-end ones that support UDMA). All cameras that take CompactFlash can write to them, just not at high UDMA speeds. So an ultra-fast card is wasted in most cameras.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...