capturing motion

Marisa HeymachMarisa Heymach Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited April 12, 2008 in Sports
Here are some shots I took to practice motion blur. I'd love feedback.

Marisa
http://bindingimage.smugmug.com/

270485122_nTag8-L.jpg

270494858_HTmcc-L.jpg

270494666_Ff8AD-L.jpg

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Amost nothing is sharp in these photos. In my opinion this never works well for capturing the motion of people in sports.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Hehe this is where the fun of subjectivity in art comes in. I like these photos. The second two would be better if you try to keep an eye out for cleaner backgrounds next time. And trying to keep a point in focus would make them that much better. (Like the 2nd too, how much cooler would they look with the track in focus).
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    IMO, motion shots work well when the FACE is clear. That, to me is the challenge - having enough blur in arms/legs to show the motion but keeping the face sharp.

#2 is probably the closest to achieving that.

Also watch your post processing - in #3 it appears you cloned sky right over the runner's face. And in general I think a bit too much over-processing to the backgrounds.

Get the faces sharper and reduce the artificial processing a bit and I think you'll get some much better results.
  • StiggStigg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2008
    johng wrote:

Also watch your post processing - in #3 it appears you cloned sky right over the runner's face. And in general I think a bit too much over-processing to the backgrounds.

If you are referencing the gal closest to the photographer, I believe the cloning stamp is actually beads from her hair. Very interesting how it appears to be a similar color!
  • frozenropefrozenrope Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008

Marisa
    http://bindingimage.smugmug.com/

Motion blur works for people, but as the other poster said, the face in focus is key. I suggest starting out with a little faster SS while you work on getting the panning technique down. This will give you a little more tolerance to work with. Once you feel comfortable with your skills, push it a little more and reduce your SS. It takes a while to get the hang of it but you can get some pretty cool shots panning sports. Practice practice practice
    Randy
    SHARPSHOOTER sports photography
    Canon Digital Gear
    Click here to Visit my website
  • Marisa HeymachMarisa Heymach Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I used a shutter speed of 1/30 and started shooting before the shot rang out. Other than doing a levels/contrast adjustment, I didn't do any post-processing. I'll try using a faster shutter speed the next time and pick one athlete to focus on.

Cheers,
    Marisa
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Your composition in #3 is nice, but I agree totally. Pick a lane and focus on it.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Here's a couple of motion shots I took purely by accident, due to poor camera settings. I kind of liked the outcom...#22 was the ball carrier.

278541132_HH9Br-L.jpg

278541403_eiq7F-L.jpg