Please...Need Help Right NOW

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in People
I only have a few hours before I go out for the weekend. I have to do a ton of photos tomorrow. My sisters getting married and I am taking the photos. I also have a lot of family photos to do the same day because it is one of the rare times that everyone will be togother. (as weddings usually are) So, I need advice RIGHT NOW!!!!

These are some practice photos I did last night. (they were not suppose to be practice but after looking at them, I see I have to do it over) I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. They are not in focus or the are noisy, or...I dont really know what the problem is can you please let me know what is happing here?
I can't figure it out. :scratch But these photos look really bad to me. It't not where I was focusing is it? I mean, the f/stop was small enough that they should all be in focus wasn't it? The lens I'm using 70-200 f/2.8L should be a sharp lens right! So it's gotta be me right?

(don't worry, I am not charging any money for these photos...I'm still learning)

This is the worst, 40D, 70-200 @ 70, f/8, ISO 250, 1/250, used flash-EX 580 (it was getting late) shot in M277977149_3KLqG-X2.jpg

not as bad but still bad, EXIF same as above
277976098_Ssqz8-X2.jpg

the best but still not sharp, EXIF same except f/5.6

277976584_gWSKN-X2.jpg

is it because I am using flash, is it the difference in the f/stop...

Oh, I shoot RAW and I did no PP just cropped a little and converted to JPG.
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Maybe too much vibration? Focus doesn't seem to be off to me but they do have more noise than you probably want. I don't use a lot of flash so I don't know about that...
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Karrie,

I don't see anything wrong. Actually, they look pretty nice. They look plenty sharp to me, and I don't see any excessive noise. They're too red, but that's probably due to digital with flash, and is easily fixed in post.

Keep breathing. You're good. Everything's fine. Look at the big picture. Remind yourself how much fun photography is.

Work on posing and interacting with the people. Your technique looks fine. All is well. The more confident you are going in, the better your photos will be tomorrow.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • SchlegelSchlegel Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I would try setting the ISO to 100 the f/stop to 2.8 and shutter as high as possible.

Also, leave the camera in AP mode and adjust the shutter to get the correct exposure.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Karrie, Jim's right. Everything looks good. Don't know why the noise at 250 is a bit more than I'm used to seeing but all are sharp. It's simply a little work in post that is needed. Use your flash to "fill" on these outdoor settings. Might want to start at -1 1/3 EV (flash) as you correcty meter in manual (if you aren't already doing so)...then adjust flash as necessary. I generally start at -2 EV then work from there. All depends on how hot the background/light is. Remember, brace yourself as you shoot and stay steady. With that lens you should have no problem.

Take a deep breath. All is well. Here's one of the children I spent 30 seconds on so you can see they're fine.

278014792_9yviK-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    at dusk is always tricky, I like the fun family shot, And the one with the two kids is a keeper also. I struggle everyday to get better, and the more I learn the less I think I know, But you are definately on a very good track
    Best of luck with the wedding
    Chris
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I respectfully disagree with Schlegel recommendation. Aperture of 2.8 with that lens shooting groups of people? Not recommended.

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    This is the worst, 40D, 70-200 @ 70, f/8, ISO 250, 1/250, used flash-EX 580 (it was getting late) shot in

I respectfully disagree with Schlegel also.

I would consider raising the ISO to 400 - 640 (ambient light) and using a faster shutter speed (less chance of blur with the 70-200) for those particular shots, but other than that...
    The first one is slightly underexposed. Boost it up slightly in RAW and I think you will feel a bit better about it. (I did w/ the jpg and it looked great and the grain disappeared). My observation of my shots and other peoples shots is that the 40D I think tends to give off film like grainy images when where as the XTi tends to give of red dots of noise. To solve it you have to either take it right in the camera or fix it in RAW or PP.

Leave a lil space for a crop. I have to print an 8 x 10 family photo out now and I think I'm going to lose half a person on both sides. :cry
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • SchlegelSchlegel Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    I respectfully disagree with Schlegel recommendation. Aperture of 2.8 with that lens shooting groups of people? Not recommended.

Your right, I was not paying attention. ne_nau.gif

because not everyone will be at the same focus distance.
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Schlegel wrote:
    Your right, I was not paying attention. ne_nau.gif

because not everyone will be at the same focus distance.
    It's a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, but it was stopped down to f/8 and f/5.6... Both a fine for group shots.

Opening to f/2.8 would be a bad thing (although tempting because of the light). If you were doing ONE person, that would be fine. For a group, that's a recipe for blurry images.

David
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    I think all of the shots you posted could look fine with a little PP, so relax. You didn't mention whether you were using a tripod or not. If you can, it would be a good idea...a 70-200 f/2.8 lens is fairly heavy, so you need to be a little concerned about camera motion blur--especially if you are using the non-IS version.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    On the group shot, you may want try gaining a little elevation next go round. Nothing to drastic just place yourself a foot or two higher than the group. Changing the angle of the group relative to the lens will effectively bring the faces in front and back into the same focus plane. A small step ladder comes in handy. Since you are on sand, you'll probably want to have someone help steady you so you and your camera don't end up sprawled out on the beach.

As for the noise...headscratch.gif at 250 iso and 1/250 of a second, there shouldn't be any discernable. Is the noise present in the RAW image? Did you raise the exposure in the RAW converter?

I agree with Swartzy on the flash. Its close but could use a little more balance with the ambient. That is hard to judge using the LCD in sunlight. A flash meter definitely helps in this situation.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    See Karrie, I told you they were fine!
    edited April 11, 2008
    277977149_3KLqG-X2.jpg

to
    277977149_3KLqG-X22.jpg
    iloveyou.gif Great shot and

Have fun with wedding!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I
    Leave a lil space for a crop. I have to print an 8 x 10 family photo out now and I think I'm going to lose half a person on both sides. :cry

Resize it in PS from 8x12 - don't crop it - make the whole image a bit smaller
    Put a border on it to equal 8x10
    And no cut off.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Shooting your SISTER's wedding!?!?!?!?!? Oh the pressure!! When you emerge after the weekend, come to us for commiseration. As for the photos, you'll do fine!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I'm a bit late to the game on this reply, but I read somewhere that there is more discernable noise when using odd ISO numbers on the 30D. I don't know if this is true on the 40D but you may want to try to stick even ISO numbers (100,200, 400, 800, 1600, etc). It was a while ago that I read that but noise was ok on the first 1/3 iso increase but the 2/3 increase in iso you would see more noise (or vice versa). Something to think about.

As far as the pics I think they do look just a tad fuzzy. I don't know if camera shake is coming into play at all but 1/112 is the lowest usable shutter speed to avoid shake (shutter=1/focal length x 1.6 crop factor... shutter=1/70x1.6= 1/112). As long as you stay above you should be able to avoid camera shake.

If you shoot in RAW mode, noise should be less of an issue. Your posted examples do appear to have a bit more jpg artifacts especially in the shadows (dark suit jackets and blacks). Plus raw will give you more latitude if you have to correct any exposures.

The pictures do look good to me. What you're refering to appears minor to me all of which can be corrected a bit of post processing.

Good luck with the wedding. I'll be shooting one myself as well!
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Much Thanks!!!
    WOW! Talk about support!!! :D Thank you all so much! I was able to read most of these replies before I had to take off for the wedding. I am sorry I did not have time to reply with my appriciation to you all first.
    Your replies and encouragement helped me a lot. I was so distressed over the noise in those photos but after seeing them with some actual PP done I know they are fine and I felt better.
    I am sure the family will be super pleased with their photos, especially since they didn't cost them anything.

My sis's wedding was, well...a mess!!! I'm not even exagerating. If it could go wrong, it went wrong. The groom kept coming up missing in action, the cupcakes (she had cupcakes instead of a cake) came out over cooked, or undercooked, the dresses didn't get sized right, half the people in the wedding didn't show up to the rehersal (including the groom), the hairdresser never showed up, the food was 3 hours late and that is just a quick summary. There is more...

279575230_aQWj2-L.jpg
    Here comes the bride (and groom's daughter)

279575470_z8kit-L.jpg
    Here comes the...rain!!!

279575599_QzZJn-L.jpg
    Here comes the bride (again)

Let me add here that in the rush to get in out of the rain and up the stairs not to miss a thing, I broke my 580 off camera flash cord. I was using my 580 and flash bracket for my lighting. In the moment, I thougtht that my 580 itself was broken so throughout the ceremony I had one hand on the camera and one hand holding the flash over the camera. It sucked, my hand got tired and shakey and I could not zoom in or out becuase I didn't have a spare hand. Needless to say, my lovely sister does not have too many photos of the actual ceremony... :cry

279567228_jZAoB-L.jpg
    the bagger got kicked down to the bottom of the stairs...those things are loud, especially in a house!!!

279567498_SRoPg-L.jpg
    man, my arms/hands were tired (using a 40D and the 24-70 f/2.8L...very heavy) by the time the kiss shot came around, but, I cought it.

279567707_E2KBU-L.jpg
    After the ceremony was over I ran up and down the stairs (3 story house) to quickly set up one of my Bees and shot the "formals".

279575961_La2Wc-M.jpg

the only shots (as far as the wedding is concerned) that I like are my ring shots

279575813_TA6Fz-M.jpg

Anyways...as you can see, it was some experience! My first time as the wedding photographer...damn, I know why you all get the big bucks!!!! Needless to say by the end of the night we just let it all go... including ourselves...
    The night ended with the spins...in more ways than one...
    279569834_ZzJ5s-L.jpg

That is me in the green, so obviously I did not take the last photo.

After all that, it actually was one of the best nights I have had in a long long time. My sis had a great time too and that is all that really matters.

Again thank you all for your help and encouragment.
    And last...yes, I know...I can't spell :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Well, the wedding may have been one problem after another, but it looks like they got married and you got some fantastic photos!

Oh, and this
    I broke my 580 off camera flash cord.
    is why you always have two of everything that might break. I do have to say you recovered very well and I'm surprise you don't have carpel tunnel now!clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Well, the wedding may have been one problem after another, but it looks like they got married and you got some fantastic photos!

Oh, and this

is why you always have two of everything that might break. I do have to say you recovered very well and I'm surprise you don't have carpel tunnel now!clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Scott. I will be buying two new cords. And, I believe I may need physical therapy for my wrists. rolleyes1.gif
  • MarkWMarkW Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Karrie,

The pics look great despite all the problems of the day. I couldn't imagine juggling the flash and camera while shooting. My wrist are already tired from just using my camera with the grip. lol. Great work and I'm sure your sister will love the pics.
    Mark Warren
    EOS 50D, 30D, Sigma 50-150 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, MF Pentax 50 f/1.4, MF 70-200 f/4.0, and a MF 200 f/4 adapted for Canon, Canon 580EXII and 430EX, 2 Vivitar 285HV's and many various modifiers.
    http://www.markwphoto.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwphoto/
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    You got some great images (the bagpipes were a nice touch). I love what you did with the first ring photo. Most importantly, despite all of the setbacks, your sis maintained that big smile, you got some beautiful captures, and it looks like everyone had a great time! clap.gif
    edited April 15, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    I am sure the family will be super pleased with their photos, especially since they didn't cost them anything.

man, my arms/hands were tired (using a 40D and the 24-70 f/2.8L...very heavy) by the time the kiss shot came around, but, I cought it.
    Luckily it wasn't the 70-200 like the previous shots! eek7.gif

I see no focus or noise issues.
    Did you ever go over ISO 250?
    Hope the bagpipe isn't scratching up the artwork.

Looks like you have two sweet group photos now. mwink.gif
    They should be happy, even with the one you didn't take. You can't tell anything went wrong during the day!

dak.smugmug.com
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Wow what a day you had! Regardless I love the photos!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com