companion camera for bicycle touring?

paddlerxpaddlerx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Cameras
i'm going to be doing a lot of touring this summer on my bicycle. last year i mounted an xti + sig 10-20 onto my bike using the top mast of my tripod and some hoseclamps ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff_cu...7601656637170/ ). worked very well...but the new 40d is a beast, and too expensive to risk. so. i'm trying to figure out a companion camera, that i can rig onto the bike hopefully to grab those images while crusin down the road.
most images will benifit from the widest possible lenses to normal. anything over 50mm is too close to be useful.

want manual control
want as fast a lens as possible (though most shots will be daytime so its not critical it be a f2.0)
gotta be sub 500$

canon g7
ricoh 100
others?

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Canon G9

It's not as fast as you want. But meets and beats all your other requirements. I haven't shot w/ it, but many in this forum that know what they are talking about love it:D
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    How about the Canon Powershot SD1100??
    8mp
    $249
    Optical Image Stabilizer
    ISO 1600
    38mm equivalent at wide end
    f/2.8-4.9
    Manual mode

Plus very light and will balance well. Buy bunches of SD memory with the $ you save! My wife just got one of these and it is sweet.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Stick with the XTI
    Unless you got rid of the XTI when you moved to the 40d, why not stick with it as your biking camera.
    edited April 11, 2008
    LKN Dave wrote:
    Unless you got rid of the XTI when you moved to the 40d, why not stick with it as your biking camera.
    I have limited experience riding bikes and even more limited in a touring capacity. But I'm pretty sure space is a valuable commodity. We're talking nice P&S and your talking DSLR's. ne_nau.gif
  • paddlerxpaddlerx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I have limited experience riding bikes and even more limited in a touring capacity. But I'm pretty sure space is a valuable commodity. We're talking nice P&S and your talking DSLR's. ne_nau.gif

the xti got sold, i'm thinking small p&s now to mount on the handlebar, and to be able to quickly move around and get some fun 'at speed' creative shots.
    40d/sigma 10-20/24-70 2.8L /Canon 70-200f4/50 f1.8/Canon 430EX/ebay triggers and so on.
    edited April 12, 2008
    Then stick w/ the Canon G9 and a gorillapod. Just wrap the tripod around the handlebars.

I got to play w/ one of theses and they are surprisingly strong.
  • lowbonelowbone Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    It sort of depends what you mean by touring. I biked the Cascade mountains and Oregon coast a few years ago and I think the last place I would want a camera mounted would be on the handlebars. Every bump in the road is going to go up to the bars and into the camera. It's also distracting, sort of like making a cell call while trying to ride your bike. Why not keep the camera in a bag and stop when you see something worth taking a photo of. That's one of the reason people bike tour, to slow down and see things in a different perspective then when in a car.