A different kind of self portrait

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited April 12, 2008 in People
I have had this idea clunking around in my head for some time now. I always figured it next to impossible to get the focus right, because of the high camera angle and off center focal point. Live View Zoom to the RESCUE!!! I metered the window light and 1/15th @ f3.5 and matched it with my Sunpak 622 diffusion head at 1/64th power on a stand right under the camera.

I think it worked out pretty cool.

277978541_Y2sjU-L.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    I think you nailed the exposure and focus. Well done. thumb.gif I'm not so sure I like the composition, though. I would try eliminating lots of the bottom and some of the top to end up with a 3x2 aspect, which ought to put the face pretty close to one of rule of thirds points. Less may be more here. Just a thought.

Regards,
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I really like this idea and think it would definately be worth another go at it. I didn't even see the tiny little hands in yours until I looked again closer. That is a cool part of the story that you can really pull out and make strong especially if you had the child just a tidbit higher. Maybe get them on a stepstool or something, so their face is visible in the reflection as well as yours. The reflection is super cool, by the way... perfect focus/ exposure and all that, but the composition could use some adjustment. I think this could be awesome with just a bit of tweaking!

Creative thinking! 'tis a beautiful thing.
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Wow, man! awesome concept....Please try again and see if you can get your little person in the faucet (that may prove difficult as they wiggle so much!) Way to turn a creative thought into a spectacular photograph. He/she would fit perfect under your chin. Cant wait, cant wait....
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    Hi Jason,

While Live View has not really been hailed as a great addition to DSLRs ( maybe it makes folks feel too much like they're shooting P&Ss like a beginner ) I think we may all ultimately change our minds, and realize that for close ups and really wide angles, shooting in Live View mode is a tremendous aid.

LiveView will allow shots that just are almost impossible to do through a viewfinder, as you demonstrate so nicely here. It will replace the use of your right angle viewfinder attachment also.

Cool Idea for your shot!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Very clean sink, too! :) Nice shot. :)