Categories and organization question.

GottriaGottria Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited April 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm stuck, either way will work but not sure what is the best. Categories. I shoot sports and multiple teams, divisions, baseball, softball, soccer, ect. What I did, instead of using the "Sports" category default from SM I created each sport it's own category, so I now have a Baseball, Soccer, and Softball categories. Sub categories are the teams name and then the galleries are each game they play. For other teams that I'll only shoot 1-2 times a year, I created the Minor A sub category then the galleries name is the teams name-date.

Now I'm thinking it might be better just to have it all under the default "Sports" category, sub category would be Baseball, Softball, or Soccer, then have the galleries as each team name-date of game played.

Man I think I'm making this harder than It should be :wink

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    Gottria wrote:
    I'm stuck, either way will work but not sure what is the best. Categories. I shoot sports and multiple teams, divisions, baseball, softball, soccer, ect. What I did, instead of using the "Sports" category default from SM I created each sport it's own category, so I now have a Baseball, Soccer, and Softball categories. Sub categories are the teams name and then the galleries are each game they play. For other teams that I'll only shoot 1-2 times a year, I created the Minor A sub category then the galleries name is the teams name-date.

Now I'm thinking it might be better just to have it all under the default "Sports" category, sub category would be Baseball, Softball, or Soccer, then have the galleries as each team name-date of game played.

Man I think I'm making this harder than It should be mwink.gif
    I think you did the right thing in creating categories for each sport. That gives you the flexibility to have the team subcategories with galleries in each - and you really don't have that if you start with a category of sports. I believe this will give you a cleaner look and it will give your teams a shorter list of galleries to go through to find their own photos.

--- Denise
  • GottriaGottria Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Record time reply, Thanks man. I know either way will work but with SM difficult way of moving galleries I want to do it right the first time.

I think you did the right thing in creating categories for each sport. That gives you the flexibility to have the team subcategories with galleries in each - and you really don't have that if you start with a category of sports. I believe this will give you a cleaner look and it will give your teams a shorter list of galleries to go through to find their own photos.

--- Denise
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    Gottria wrote:
    Record time reply, Thanks man. I know either way will work but with SM difficult way of moving galleries I want to do it right the first time.
    Actually, you don't need to move the galleries - you would just need to change the category and subcategory for each gallery. Yes, they do need to be changed individually, but it can be done pretty quickly with SmugBrowser (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47484).

--- Denise