.....(gulp!).........

278121956_xq8cX-XL.jpg

Would love your c&c please,

Many thanks
Carl
regards,
Carl

--
Carpe diem, or Seize the day.. ...with a photo or two - there's no better way.
:oogle:oogle:rofl:oogle:oogle

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    Hey Carl,

This has a wonderful old-time feel to it. Very nice. thumb.gif

I would clean up the background a bit, getting rid of a few bright spots in the otherwise black areas. Just a nit, but I think this shot deserves a little more work.

I fully expect most people will disagree with this, but here's a thought. You might consider splitting this into two shots, one with just the two kids and another with the kid on the right and the soft drink container. There's a lot going on in this shot. Simplifying it might help the viewer.

Regards,
  • CarlCam5CarlCam5 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hey Carl,

This has a wonderful old-time feel to it. Very nice. thumb.gif

I would clean up the background a bit, getting rid of a few bright spots in the otherwise black areas. Just a nit, but I think this shot deserves a little more work.

I fully expect most people will disagree with this, but here's a thought. You might consider splitting this into two shots, one with just the two kids and another with the kid on the right and the soft drink container. There's a lot going on in this shot. Simplifying it might help the viewer.

Regards,

Thanks Richard - those are great tips in my opinion.

Would youhave all the background completely black, i.e so there are no brigther areas whatsoever?
    I know what you mean about cropping and considered doing the crop you suggested, but i think I liked the look on my younger lads' face that to me was saying -Right have finished mine, now what can I grab from my brother's plate. I will try the crop though.

All the best,
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    CarlCam5 wrote:
    Thanks Richard - those are great tips in my opinion.

Would youhave all the background completely black, i.e so there are no brigther areas whatsoever?
    Not completely black. I like seeing the wall, for example. Just those areas that are bright but have so little detail that you can't tell what they are.
    CarlCam5 wrote:
    I know what you mean about cropping and considered doing the crop you suggested, but i think I liked the look on my younger lads' face that to me was saying -Right have finished mine, now what can I grab from my brother's plate. I will try the crop though.
    Carl
    That look is precious and certainly worth saving. The reflections in the can (is that a can?) are also interesting. That's why I think it's worth making this into two prints. You can also just clean up the background and print it as is. That will give you three. Such a deal. :D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I agree with Richard. The drink container almost at first glance seems to be another photo next to the boys. Realizing that cropping that out takes away from the frame size, its still worth a shot to try. The expression and old time feel is way cool. About the only thing distracting to me is the brighter and bigger item on the right. Otherwise, nice shot.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    While I do find the mug in the front distracting, I love the grainy b/w. That's my new favorite type of image for my personal snapshots. Nice job!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I really like the expressiveness of the kid camera left.
  • CarlCam5CarlCam5 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    to Swartzy, Jan and josh
    Many thanks for your comments - they are all constructive and helpful.
    I cannot make my mind up with regards the cola bottle though...

al the best,
    Carl
    regards,
    Carl

--