Should I buy the Canon 5D?

parkermyersparkermyers Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited April 12, 2008 in Cameras
Has anyone heard any credible rumors whether or not Canon will be releasing a new Full Chip camera anytime soon? I am looking to upgrade from the XTi I have been using for about 1 1/2 yrs (12,000+ pics) to a full-chip camera.

I know I can't go wrong with the the 5D (right?), but would hate to spend big $$ only to have Canon release a new full-chip model loaded with bells and whistles in the near future.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 11, 2008
    Has anyone heard any credible rumors whether or not Canon will be releasing a new Full Chip camera anytime soon? I am looking to upgrade from the XTi I have been using for about 1 1/2 yrs (12,000+ pics) to a full-chip camera.

I know I can't go wrong with the the 5D (right?), but would hate to spend big $$ only to have Canon release a new full-chip model loaded with bells and whistles in the near future.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

parkermyers,

"Credible rumors" would seem to be a non-sequitur. If it is a rumor it cannot be very credible. At best it might be a guess. OK, sometimes a company will "leak" information and it emerges as a rumor, but I can never rely on that imformation either because too often something is not right.

My best guess is that a Canon 5D replacement would be fairly expensive and that the 5D would still be considered a bargain. If you "need" the 5D now, get the 5D now.

What is it about the Canon 5D that you find attractive?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • parkermyersparkermyers Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What is it about the Canon 5D that you find attractive?

Two reasons; one is technology related, the other...ego!! First, I'd like to find a full-chip camera. I'm now doing some (part-time) portrait work and wedding assisting so I would like a primary "professional-line" camera, the XTi would become the back-up. It is a great camera.

Which leads me to Reason #2, if I was paying someone to take photos of me, I'd like them (or expect them) to be using "professional" equipment. I know it is the end product that your ultimately paying for and a "consumer-line" XTi can indeed deliver. But if I am going to buy another camera.......?? I'm not opposed to the other's 20d, 30d, 40d, etc. but I just figured if I am spending the $, may as well go full-chip.

Thanks for any sugguestions or other recommendations.
    edited April 11, 2008
    I use a Canon 1D MKII for wedding and event work. I find that the autofocus mechanism of the 1D MKII is much more competent than the 5D or the 20D/30D, which all share the same (or very similar) autofocus section.

The Canon 1D MKII with an appropriate fast lens is just a beast in low light and the keeper rate is amazing. If an image is out-of-focus, it doesn't matter what camera performed the capture.

The Canon 40D autofocus is a new design and I do think it is an improvement over that in the 20D/30D/5D, especially in low light. The 40D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 USM IS is a fairly perfect combination and I just tried that combination recently under the pressure of an event and it performed well.

The 1D/1Ds series cameras also have dual memory card slots and simultaneous write capability, which is a tremendous insurance against card failure.

My recommendation for paying event work is to look at the 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII rather than the full-frame 5D or even the 1Ds series. The extra shooting performance of the 1D series is well worth it.
    ziggy53
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    5D is a WONDERFUL piece of gear
    My take on bodies is the 5d is a wonderful piece of gear. Low light is decent. I paid new $3400 with body only a year and a half ago. You can get them now for under $2000. A good lens is more important than the body. I've seen wonderful images with an xt when they've had good glass. Why pay double $2000 to get a body. Over on the Wedding Forum that I am a member way more photographers use the 5d. It is still a great piece of technical wonder and half the price of the 1MarkII D and probably 2/3 of the price of the next generation of the 5d - invest in glass. It's what really counts in the end!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • parkermyersparkermyers Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy and Kathy, I appreciate the recommendations. Tough choices! If money wasn't a factor, the decision would be easy!

I do want to add some more glass to the collection, preferably on the low (mm) end. I have the 28-135, 70-300 and the 85mm f1.8. Can you recommend a good indoor lens, maybe the 17-40mm? But wouldn't that range almost duplicate the 28-135? Do you know anything about the 10-22mm?

Thanks.
    edited April 12, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy and Kathy, I appreciate the recommendations. Tough choices! If money wasn't a factor, the decision would be easy!

I do want to add some more glass to the collection, preferably on the low (mm) end. I have the 28-135, 70-300 and the 85mm f1.8. Can you recommend a good indoor lens, maybe the 17-40mm? But wouldn't that range almost duplicate the 28-135? Do you know anything about the 10-22mm?

Thanks.

I have the EF 17-40mm, f4L. I do sometimes wish I had something faster like the EF 16-35mm, f2.8L II. I use it mostly for shots of the church exterior and interior. During a ceremony I use mostly an EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L. Someday I will update that to the EF 24-70mm, f2.8L.

The 17-40mm range is much wider on a full-frame camera than the 28-135mm range and the image quality is higher.

The EF-S 10-22mm, f3.5-f4.5 will not fit a full-frame camera body. It is otherwise a great lens that creates images better than the reviews seem to indicate.
    ziggy53
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    Lots of folks are expecting an 5D MKll this fall. Well, maybe, maybe not. I have no idea!

The 40D is a heck of a camera. Coupled with the 17-55 f2.8 IS it should do excellent work. That lens is limited to an APS sensored camera, thus cannot be used on a full frame camera. The 24-70 f2.8 L is the typical wedding shooters primary lens with a full frame camera.

I shoot with a 40D and a 5D, and prefer the AF of the 40D. The 5D shoots wider with the same lenses, of course. I choose which camera to use on the basis of wide versus telephoto and will I need the high frame rate, not which will give better images. For sports, the 40 wins hands down. For low light, the 40D wil AF better, but the 5D may have a bit lower noise. For landscapes and studio shots ( where AF speed and dim light AF ability matter less) the 5D would be my preference. For weddings a 5D and a 40D gives one the best of both worlds.

I am hopeful that the 5DMkll ( if there EVER is such a beast ) wlll gain the improvements built into the 40D - larger LCD, faster frame rate, and significantly better AF, much better weather sealing. Weather sealing is a weakness of the 5D.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I love my 5D since I got it for more than a year.
    Since I used to use the old films, my eyes more adopt to 5D full frame than the older 300D. I don't do sport photo, I enjoy portrait and landscape, full frame is my choice.
    As what Kathy mentioned, the low light, low noise level are really great.
    There is something for 5D to improve is the losing lights at the corners and collecting dusty on the sensor. Due to the bigger sensor, there is more electric charge and draw dusty sitting on it. The 1D MkIII have the ultrasonic cleaner. Hope the new 5D replace will have the cleaner built-in in future
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/