Baseball Cards

OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited April 19, 2008 in Sports
Has anyone else done a baseball card type layout?

I sure would like to get ideas from you.

I did this one for my boys scrap-book. He is a High School freshmen.

274694162_JyRqY-XL.jpg

275202195_Lpsdp-XL.jpg

275202274_zvCYX-XL.jpg
Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Comments

• jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    Has anyone else done a baseball card type layout?

I sure would like to get ideas from you.

I did this one for my boys scrap-book. He is a High School freshmen.

Good job !! I like it!

Those are pretty cool actually, but a few suggestions. I would remove the 3d effects and drop shadow from the text for the name. Drop shadow as well as a 3d effects when the background is already darker makes it hard to read the name as well as the other text.

...OR keep the effects or some of them and play with adding an extra layer beneth, cloning the text and have it as white or another high contrast color. ..possibly even a bit larger or maybe offset a bit. ..or perhaps on some of it to add a bit larger area of the white glow around the text. For example if I am going to add a white glow, I rarely ever add it to top text layer. I like to clone the text and have a glow on the lower layer as well as possibly having the text color white.. It helps make the text sharper and stand out more. ..any combination of these will help make the text pop and in some cases "float a bit".

..IMO.. There is not enough contrast around the name and much of the text (especially around the PA in patrick) so the effect is more prominant thus making it hard to make out the name or words. ..effects are cool except where the effect is easier to see than what you are attempting to read. thumb.gif
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Jerry,

Thanks for the link. Those layouts are outstanding. Gave me a bunch of ideas.

jww.

Thanks, that's just the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll try your suggestions when I feel better. This morning I woke up with sever adominal pain. Ended up in the ER and found out I have a Kidney stone I need to get rid of. It's a new experience for me. Thank goodness for pain medication
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
    edited April 13, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    Jerry,

Thanks for the link. Those layouts are outstanding. Gave me a bunch of ideas.

jww.

Thanks, that's just the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll try your suggestions when I feel better. This morning I woke up with sever adominal pain. Ended up in the ER and found out I have a Kidney stone I need to get rid of. It's a new experience for me. Thank goodness for pain medication

..most welcome! ..and good luck! ..that sounds awful!!!!
  • streegshooterstreegshooter Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I have done some custom poster artwork, and it has been a wild success for everyone that purchases them, and liked by most that see it. Fun too!

278163960_o4kBY-S.jpg
  • ballhogballhog Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2008
    what are some good programs to use to create those posters? I shoot soccer and baseball. A few parents are requesting collages.
    Do I need photoshop?
    jww wrote:
    Good job !! I like it!

Those are pretty cool actually, but a few suggestions. I would remove the 3d effects and drop shadow from the text for the name. Drop shadow as well as a 3d effects when the background is already darker makes it hard to read the name as well as the other text.

...OR keep the effects or some of them and play with adding an extra layer beneth, cloning the text and have it as white or another high contrast color. ..possibly even a bit larger or maybe offset a bit. ..or perhaps on some of it to add a bit larger area of the white glow around the text. For example if I am going to add a white glow, I rarely ever add it to top text layer. I like to clone the text and have a glow on the lower layer as well as possibly having the text color white.. It helps make the text sharper and stand out more. ..any combination of these will help make the text pop and in some cases "float a bit".

..IMO.. There is not enough contrast around the name and much of the text (especially around the PA in patrick) so the effect is more prominant thus making it hard to make out the name or words. ..effects are cool except where the effect is easier to see than what you are attempting to read. thumb.gif
    edited April 15, 2008
    Balhog,

I have Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop Elements 5.

I do 90% of my work with Elements. It has most everything I need. It is also easier to use.
    edited April 15, 2008
    streegshooter,

That's an awesome layout. That was my 1st attempt at doing more with photoshop than just cropping and tweaking a photo. I still have much to learn.

I've been working on another layout...

279621759_2feA4-XL.jpg vbmenu_register("postmenu_804101", true);
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I have done some custom poster artwork, and it has been a wild success for everyone that purchases them, and liked by most that see it. Fun too!

278163960_o4kBY-S.jpg
    That is great! I offered trading cards to MX and Kart customers. The few that bought them loved them. Its one of those products, like the collage above, that mom and dad cannot do with their own camera, and that's what you need to sell. My problem was I am not good at graphic design, nor at marketing. :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • streegshooterstreegshooter Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I like the above design OhEddie. Very nice!

It is definately a fun thing to play around with and I have sold them with success. I dont think I charge enough though...of course different by size, but most popular is a 24x36in print and I charge $50 for it all ($30 print cost)

Although most of them are similiar, I have a small gallery of some of the poster's I've made up over the past school season: http://www.flatoutsports.com/gallery/4536043_M4mbj#278163960_o4kBY
  • James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Here is a trading card design I'm currently using:

trading%20card_front.jpg
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
    edited April 19, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    streegshooter,

I've been working on another layout...

Much better!!

I like the background pic and how it works well with the other pieces. I think the basic layout is also good. ...However, I think the text on the right needs a bit of help.

Possibly adding that white glow to the orange text layer. ..or maybe flipping the colors around which is more in line to their logo then add the white glow to the lower layer or even a layer below that..

I think the problem is their team colors are very contrasty and while a bit of contrast is good (like black over white), those colors together tend to YELL AT YOU so you have to be very careful in their use.

You might want to make the high school name a bit smaller so you don't have that bit of overlap over the player name below. I would think the name would be a bit larger as well making it a bit more dominant and the school name a bit less. .. but eeeehh.. that might just be me! I think you should also with the space created by the above, pull the M down off your border thingy. I've crossed borders but I do it way big like making it float with a larger M on a lower layer matching the background a bit to give it some "space" for the overlap.. In your case it is just touching. It tends to make the eye add the line to the letter. ..and maybe make the pic just a tad smaller and pull that off that border as well.

I like the action sequence pics below, but having the square borders in that same blue detracts a bit as it makes it harder to see the pics. Try a black or a dark grey that shows up as a border, but plays nicely with the pics. If you still need to have the blue, maybe a thin line bordering the actual border.

Nice work! mwink.gif
    edited April 19, 2008
    Here is a trading card design I'm currently using:

wow.. very cool! ..I wonder if you had the name all on the same line though. The first name being that way is neat, but for some might be confusing on some name combinations.

Great work!
    edited April 19, 2008

...awesome... simply awesome! thumb.gif