Have Nikon D50 should I buy D40?

CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited April 12, 2008 in Cameras
I have been doing some reading.. and I am wondering if I should trade up.
I have had my D50 a year and I have been learning some with it.

My favorite lens is the 50 MM 1.8 I have read some reviews about trouble with this lens and the D40?

Could anyone offer a relative newb some advice?

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Hi Cosmo, Welcome to dgrin wave.gif

The D40 is missing a mechanical piece that allows the camera to adjust the focusing ring on the 50mm 1.8. So you can use the 50mm; you just can't use Auto-Focus (AF) w/ it. This means you just have to focus manually.

The D40 is a nice camera, but no nicer than the D50 IMO. I think the LCD is a bit bigger on the D40. But with both of them, your only getting an entry level DSLR.

If your really liking photography, I'd say stick w/ the D50 and wait longer to upgrade to something better than the D40. Later down the road, you'll know better what your needs are and know what camera is best for you.

If you want to leave the camera on auto all the time and just want snapshots of everything. Then maybe the D40 is a good option. But I'd at least wait until your D50 wears out. I had about 50k clicks on mine when I sold it and it was still taking great pictures..

If your just itching to spend money, invest in some glass. Not a new body.

HTH
  • CosmopolitanCosmopolitan Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Hi Cosmo, Welcome to dgrin wave.gif

The D40 is missing a mechanical piece that allows the camera to adjust the focusing ring on the 50mm 1.8. So you can use the 50mm; you just can't use Auto-Focus (AF) w/ it. This means you just have to focus manually.

The D40 is a nice camera, but no nicer than the D50 IMO. I think the LCD is a bit bigger on the D40. But with both of them, your only getting an entry level DSLR.

If your really liking photography, I'd say stick w/ the D50 and wait longer to upgrade to something better than the D40. Later down the road, you'll know better what your needs are and know what camera is best for you.

If you want to leave the camera on auto all the time and just want snapshots of everything. Then maybe the D40 is a good option. But I'd at least wait until your D50 wears out. I had about 50k clicks on mine when I sold it and it was still taking great pictures..

If your just itching to spend money, invest in some glass. Not a new body.

HTH

Thanks for your thoughts! I was sort of wondering some of those same things myself :D
    Any suggestions for glass?
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Thanks for your thoughts! I was sort of wondering some of those same things myself :D
    Any suggestions for glass?
    What do you like to shoot?
    Do you mind toting around big glass?
    Are you more of a all in one piece of glass that gives good results? Or a I'd rather have a piece of glass that gives superior results and has limited capabilities? (i.e. I want an 18-200 that never leaves my camera or I want three prime (non-zoom) lens' that give me better images)
    What's your perfect budget?
    What's your bank breaking budget if you find the best out there?
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I have a D50 and my favorite lens is the Tamron 28-75MM f2.8. Its about $380 new and can often be ound used for $300. I'm currently waiting for the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 to become available next month. It wil be $700. This f2.8 combination covers quite a range in low light for a reasonable budget.