Waterproof P&S - Olympus 790 vs Pentax W30

eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited April 13, 2008 in Cameras
Looking to order one of these - I read a few comments about them, but thought I'd see if anyone else would like to chime in with their experience with either. Hubby will likely use when snorkeling; I want it for use in rainy weather.

I'd also love to know if either of these cameras has a stitch-assist mode. Specs aren't very specific.

Thanks.

Comments

• keeprightkeepright Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I own an Olympus 770SW, and last summer took it on a trip to Australia and California where it happily played in the ocean. At the time my brother-in-law was using a waterproof pentax.

Last christmas my brother-in-law came for a visit, and he was using his father-in-law's Olympus 790SW because his Pentax had died from water penetration. And no, he doesn't dive or snorkel.

By BiL now owns his own Olympus 850SW.

Personally I'd choose the tougher 1030SW; it has twice the depth and drop ratings. And when used with Olympus xD cards there is a panorama assist mode, but it also requires the use of the Olympus software, which I've never tried.

The 770SW that I own doesn't take great photos. It's pretty average for a point-and-shoot, and it seems like image stabilization and impact resistance are mutually exclusive features. On the other hand, it will continue to happily take its average P&S photos under conditions that will and do kill other cameras. To me that's a pretty good deal.
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thanks keepright ... appreciate the comments.