Need Tips - Night Shot

ChasingFirefliesChasingFireflies Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited April 13, 2008 in Landscapes
Our assignment this week for my photography course is a night shot. I've decided on this building and took some shots last night. Any tips or CC would be greatly appreciated! I may go shoot it again tonight or tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Canon Rebel XTi w/ kit lens
Shutter priority
8s exposure time
f/20.0
ISO - 1600
278384311_yUgHB-L.jpg

Canon Rebel XTi w/ kit lens
Shutter priority
1s exposure time
f/5.0
ISO - 800
278386804_b8DAT-L.jpg

For both shots I used LR to adjust WB, fill light and/or brightness.

Comments

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    You should be able to produce a much nicer shot if you didn't use ISO1600 as this just introduces a lot of unnecessary noise.

Try shooting the same shot at ISO 100 or 200 at a lower F Stop with varying shutter speeds. Use full manual if necessary.
    I'm by no means an expert but I've managed to take night shots with some success at ISO 100 (Some are in the "night" section in my gallery. :)

Also, are you using a tripod? if so, try to make sure it's not a windy night. A couple of mine have had a tiny amount of shake on them as a result of a gust of wind. Also, a remote shutter release is a must. Failing that, set your camera to timer so that there is no movement at all on the camera when the shutter is opened.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Yep, Ian covered the best points.

I do not see why you were shooting at such high ISO when you obviously have a tripod! Your recovery will be much better in your images if you go down to 100 or 200.

Notice if you stop the lens down (smaller aperture) you get cool stars in your light points. thumb.gif

Let's see some more! :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 13, 2008
    Why Shutter priority for night shots with a tripod?

Switch to Av or Manual mode so that you control your aperture, and hence, your depth of field.

ISO 100 as previously mentioned - no need for higher ISOs for this shot.

You might consider trying a tungsten white balance with all the light from the street lights.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin