First signs ofspring in Estonia

JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited April 13, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi!

Finally spring has arrived or at least first signs of it!

278438676_SZAMb-M.jpg
Sigma 70-300 + Nikon 50mm reversed

278440377_CRiDk-M.jpg
Nikon 50mm reversed

278440692_gsDbC-M.jpg
First spider

Finally

278441264_tWpmg-M.jpg
Magnification is about 8x
Sigma 400mm + Nikon 50mm reversed, DOF practically did not exist.

Basically all day today I was experimenting with different "reversed" setups.
Have to admit that while some telephoto lense + reversed prime allows magnifications up to 8x. DOF become too shallow already after 3x. And working distance even shorter compared to the case when lense reversed directely to the camera. Interesting if I would experiance the same problems using some macro lense or macro lense + extension tubes?

Regards,

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Hi!

Nikon 50mm reversed
    First spider
    Finally
    Have to admit that while some telephoto lense + reversed prime allows magnifications up to 8x. DOF become too shallow already after 3x. And working distance even shorter compared to the case when lense reversed directely to the camera. Interesting if I would experiance the same problems using some macro lense or macro lense + extension tubes?

Regards,
    Beautiful shots! #1 is my favourite by far! And you can check out my high magnification thread for the experiences of another person struggling with high magnification. In answer to your question, I think there's no free lunch, tubes won't get you close to these types of magnifications, and when you do get there, you have no DOF no matter how you get there, the only thing that could help would be a smaller sensor.
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Thanks for the feed back!

I checked your gallery. Do you stack lenses together or it is just Sigma 150 macro?

Regards,

Robinivich wrote:
    Beautiful shots! #1 is my favourite by far! And you can check out my high magnification thread for the experiences of another person struggling with high magnification. In answer to your question, I think there's no free lunch, tubes won't get you close to these types of magnifications, and when you do get there, you have no DOF no matter how you get there, the only thing that could help would be a smaller sensor.
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Nice shots.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    LOvely series and good experimentation with the lenses :).

Agree with Robinovich the DOF in macro shots for any given camera, magnification and aperture is the same no matter how you achieve that magnification. The higher the mag the narrower it gets. Think around 5:1 I'm down to 0.05mm DOF on some shots.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Hi!
    Nikon 50mm reversed
    First spider
    Finally

Regards,

Great Series Jet clap.gif the first 2 are my favourites in this lot.

You know the folks who make lenses could resolve all our DOF problems if they would just invent a lens that had no focus boundaries.......how sweet would that be hu :ivar

Really nice work thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 13, 2008
    Brian, many thanks for the feed back!
    Talking about lenses. What kind of dof would I have with Sigma 150 mm macro? and how would it change when I will add ext. tubes?

Regards,
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thanks Skippy!

slightly larger dof would be nice but no limitation would make our life simply boring ;)

Regards,

Skippy wrote:
    Great Series Jet clap.gif the first 2 are my favourites in this lot.

You know the folks who make lenses could resolve all our DOF problems if they would just invent a lens that had no focus boundaries.......how sweet would that be hu :ivar

Really nice work thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D