Old Church

jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Landscapes
This photograph is of an old church approximately 100 years old, It's not used anymore. Photograph was taken approximate 1500 hours today. It's lacking something I don't know what, it doesn't pop. C&C appreciated thanks in advance.

John :scratch
church.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    That beautiful little church isn't used? Is the door really sitting open like that? eek7.gif

One of the key reasons why the image seems a bit flat is because you were taking it at the time of day when the sun is high. At those times the sun is very bright, very harsh and the shadows are directly underneath - all things that tend to make your images look a bit washed out and one-dimensional. I'm sure going back in the early morning or evening when the sun at a lower angle will help, as will the quality of the light that hits then.

You can do a bit in PP to make the colors and contrast a bit better, or you can bring the clouds out a bit more by adding a layer mask in PS.
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Thanks Schmoo
    I really appreciate the information an the links. I have Photoshop CS3 and I will put this information to use.
    I was concerned that my processing for post was causing some of this flatness because it does not Print out that way. I output in Photoshop and Web color.

Now to answer some of your questions. Yes the church is open all the time vandals you know. If anything is locked up they got to knock it down even a church.
    Lighting is definitely an issue here. The sunrise is directly behind the church giving long shadows in front. And in the afternoon it is so bright on the front.
    I guess I'll have to wait for a cloudy day or later on in the year.

Thanks again for your help John bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Schmoo
    I have put your information the use. Here is my first attempt at using curves and white balance, still a lot of practice to do.

John headscratch.gif
    church4070.jpg
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Very nice, thumb.gif
    Sad about the vandals.