Options

Storefront approach, from products to photos

CelsoDinizCelsoDiniz Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited April 12, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello,

Don't you agree the "buying process" at smugmug is too complicated ? Even when people like a photography they get lost in the process of knonwing what they can buy with that picture stamped on (Mugs, Prints, Downloads, Shirts, Porstcards, etc) and even when they know what they want they still have a hard time finding their way through buying such thing. At least this is the feedback I have received in the past.

And I am not sure the new interface (I noticed it has changed) will improve that situation. I think the solution could be to invert the flow of things here... Instead of letting potential buyers find pictures they like for only after that show them the products they can buy we should rather give potential buyers a clean interface much more like a regular online store listing all sort of products for sale through smugmug, and the buyers looking for a cool mousepad could follow that option and then find the pictures they want to have on their mousepad. That would be a much more natural way of doing things in my opinion.

And we could extend that idea to have one major SmugMug storefront where buyers would pick a product they want to buy and then search all the pictures for sale on the smugmug universe, pick one and get their good shipped. The search of course should include keywords, major color of the picture, categories (pets, landscape, etc) or any other sort of search engine.

And we could go even further and let each PRO user have its own storefront, which would follow the same schema above but the search would be restricted to that user's photos for sale. That way I could have on my customized site (www.celsodiniz.com) an entry on the menu saying something like "visit my store" where people would find a very simple way of buying goods with my pictures on them.

Note the http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog.mg is made for SmugMug users and external buyers can not buy anything from there. My suggestion is to have some sort of layout like that intended to allow external people (not SmugMug users) to click on a given product they want to buy, search for pictures to stamp on that product (and the search could be at SmugMug level if the customer goes to the Smug Store, or it could only be at a PRO user level, if the customer is visiting a PRO User Store), and finally the customer would follow a simple and revised flow to add such product to his cart and pay for it.

Can you please let me know if you already have got this feedback or a suggestion like this, and if you are looking into it ? If you have not heard such idea and never thought about it either, then please let me know what you think.

Thanks !
Celso.