SmugMug Crashes, nothing changed!

dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
edited April 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
For the last two days my Smugmug site crashes so hard I have to use Task manager to close IE7 in Vista.
Nothing has been changed in my settings.

If I go to a gallery that has a small amount of pictures, the gallery opens fine,
but now there are only four pictures per row instead of five like there used to be. My monitor is 1920x1200.

If I go to a gallery that has many pictures, the thumbnails will not show and IE7 crashes.
However, if I make the IE7 window smaller the gallery opens OK with only four pictures per row.
If I open the window to full size It crashes again, I think because it would use five thumbnails per row.

This just started happening. I tried deleting all the customization settings, but the problem continues.
My site is listed below. Try the Landscape gallery.
See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Hi Dennis, standby.
    Something's not right, I'm investigating.
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dennis, standby.

Andy, for some reason the Animals gallery works even though it has many pictures. I have deleted all my settings. I will leave it that way till I get a reply.
    edited April 12, 2008
    Andy, for some reason the Animals gallery works even though it has many pictures. I have deleted all my settings. I will leave it that way till I get a reply.
    Yeah I replicate it on my IE7, truly strange - but we can't replicate it anywhere else on the site.

Stay tuned.
    edited April 12, 2008
    Dennis, mind if I move all the photos to a new gallery?
    edited April 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Dennis, mind if I move all the photos to a new gallery?

No problem, don't lose them though...:)
    edited April 12, 2008
    Trying a few things, give me 24 hours please :)
  • LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I'm bumping this as it's the same for me and has been for a few weeks now. I can't get into your pages Dennis, or some of my own, not all the time, just sometimes. Enough to be an annoynace though. Sometimes I can get in first time, sometimes there is a pause first for a second or so and sometimes I just get the 'Gradient Gray' background with no images.
    edited April 13, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    I'm bumping this as it's the same for me and has been for a few weeks now. I can't get into your pages Dennis, or some of my own, not all the time, just sometimes. Enough to be an annoynace though. Sometimes I can get in first time, sometimes there is a pause first for a second or so and sometimes I just get the 'Gradient Gray' background with no images.
    What pages, exactly, on your site? We need specifics so that we can help :)
    edited April 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What pages, exactly, on your site? We need specifics so that we can help :)

Specifically this one -

I have it open in another window at the moment and the background is Gradient Gray with no images as happens sometimes.

It's also reporting '(1 item remaining) Waiting for [/"]http:///[/URL] ....
    edited April 13, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    Specifically this one -

http://laurencecounter.smugmug.com/gallery/4710490_kGRMh

I have it open in another window at the moment and the background is Gradient Gray with no images as happens sometimes.

It's also reporting '(1 item remaining) Waiting for http://laurencecounter.smugmug.co,/gallery/ ....
    OK Thx - what happens if you change the theme to any other theme? Does it still crash?
    edited April 13, 2008
    I think both of you guys should be fixed up. It was a theme bug in Gradient Grey, for IE7... the spacing between the thumbnails was causing IE7 to have some rounding errors as it calcs screen space for stretchy.

Pls let us know?
    edited April 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I think both of you guys should be fixed up. It was a theme bug in Gradient Grey, for IE7... the spacing between the thumbnails was causing IE7 to have some rounding errors as it calcs screen space for stretchy.

Pls let us know?

Seems Ok, I have to put my site back togeather, but I can see the pictures again.

Thanks for the quick service :)
    edited April 14, 2008
    Yes, that seems to work. Thanks Andy bowdown.gif
    edited April 14, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    Yes, that seems to work. Thanks Andy bowdown.gif

Or maybe I spoke too soon - it doesn't work on my PC at the office at all. headscratch.gif
    edited April 14, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    Or maybe I spoke too soon - it doesn't work on my PC at the office at all. headscratch.gif
    Details - Browser and version and OS?
    Gallery link that fails, too?
    Monitor size & resolution?

ear.gif
    edited April 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Details - Browser and version and OS?
    Gallery link that fails, too?
    Monitor size & resolution?

ear.gif

ie 7.0.5730.11
    XP Pro
    19" 1280 x 1024

This is what I see most of the time on this page - http://laurencecounter.smugmug.com/gallery/4710490_kGRMh

24158499jn1.jpg

It either kicks in after a second or so or won't go any further than this. Ctrl F5 will usually make it appear. It's strange that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, don't you think?

Thank you
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I use a lot of Gradient Grey on my Smug site and I'm having trouble with IE7. Not sure if it's related. In FF everything pops up fine. In IE7, no slideshow shows up on the homepage and I can't access any of the galleries, it just spins and spins like it's looking for something.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited April 14, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I use a lot of Gradient Grey on my Smug site and I'm having trouble with IE7. Not sure if it's related. In FF everything pops up fine. In IE7, no slideshow shows up on the homepage and I can't access any of the galleries, it just spins and spins like it's looking for something.

Uh...nevermind. Apparently my IE needed a restart. Sorry.rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2008
    Elaine wrote:

Hi Elaine,

I just checked your site in IE7 and the slideshow works as do all of the galleries (for me!). You might want to try clearing your cache and cookies in IE7 to see if that will resolve your problem:

Clearing Cache and Cookies in Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7.0:

1. From the *|Tools|* menu, select *|Internet Options... |*.
    2. Choose the *|General|* tab.
    3. Under *|Browsing history|*, click *|Delete... |*.
    4. Next to "Temporary Internet Files", click *|Delete files... |*.
    5. Next to "Cookies", click *|Delete cookies... |*.
    5. Click *|Close|*, and then click *|OK|* to exit.

Let us know if you continue to have problems.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Uh...nevermind. Apparently my IE needed a restart. Sorry.rolleyes1.gif

Hi Elaine,

Yay! Glad you got it working :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
    edited April 14, 2008
    Hi All, we just made a fix for this, does anyone still report *any* sort of IE7 weirdness?
    edited April 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi All, we just made a fix for this, does anyone still report *any* sort of IE7 weirdness?

I can't get a slideshow to show up in my blog in IE 7 but I can in FF. Does that count?

(I did ask about this already in the slideshow thread.)
    Elaine

edited April 14, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I can't get a slideshow to show up in my blog in IE 7 but I can in FF. Does that count?

(I did ask about this already in the slideshow thread.)
    I'm sure it's just an embed-code issue - please stay with that in the slideshow thread, thanks!
    edited April 14, 2008
    The gallery I was having the issue with is loading fine now I'm at home. I'll have to see if the problem persists with my work PC tomorrow. Thanks for continuing to work on this.