Melbourne

JwillJwill Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited April 13, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi, here are a couple of shots of my Melbourne experiences from this year. I'm a noob, so I'd love some constructive C+C.

Melbourne from the sky - I know, the horizon's not level, but I didn't want to cut the left side of the jet engine.
IMG_6420.jpg

The city at night - from a ferris wheel during the Moomba festival.
IMG_3910.jpg

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I know Melbourne very well. I very much like the idea of the Moomba shot, good compositiona and the colors are really nice, but would have liked more sharpness, as well as being able to see a little more of the river and riverside buildings beyond the amusements. Bigger aperture, faster shutter, maybe (without knowing what you used). IS would have helped you a lot. You are doing pretty well for a newbie with a 40D, it seems to me. That camera demands a great deal of anyone who picks it up. It is definitely not a camera to be casually handled.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • JwillJwill Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    I know Melbourne very well. I very much like the idea of the Moomba shot, good compositiona and the colors are really nice, but would have liked more sharpness, as well as being able to see a little more of the river and riverside buildings beyond the amusements. Bigger aperture, faster shutter, maybe (without knowing what you used). IS would have helped you a lot. You are doing pretty well for a newbie with a 40D, it seems to me. That camera demands a great deal of anyone who picks it up. It is definitely not a camera to be casually handled.

Thanks Neil. Moomba was a bit of fun - I missed getting shots of the ski jumping contest later in the festival. This pic was shot with my 10-22EF-S - no IS, at f/3.5 exposure 1/100sec. I was shooting in JPEG format, so haven't been able to throw more light on the surrounding cityside without it looking washed out. This lens has usually produced fairly sharp images for me - I agree, this one looks a bit off. Maybe because the ferris wheel was moving, all the rides were moving and I was shooting at ISO1000? Not sure - and I think that image hasn't been sharpened out of camera. I have a lot to learn about PP images yet!