Bee-flies

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Holy Macro
Managed to get a bit closer to some bee-flies yesterday Bombylius major. About 10-12mm body length not including nose. First 3 shots are a male that rested every now and then when the wind got too strong for it's territorial hovering. First shot is an accidental fill flash one. Last shot is a female.

Mix of MPE-65 and sigma 105 shots.

Brian V.

2408945639_bdefb990b1_o.jpg

2408945643_5d9a807a89_o.jpg

2408945661_ebd67b3782_o.jpg

2408945647_5cdfce8494_o.jpg

Comments

• teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Wow Strange Bee
    I have never seen a Bee like that before. Do they sting? MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I think you have it backwards. Though Lord V will be around to set things straight, I'm sure.

It is a Fly that looks somewhat like a Bee. Thus the name.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Fluffy and dangerous!

Last one is my favorite!

Excellent shots Brian. I certainly haven't seen that type of bee before.
    Regards
    Bob
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Bee Fly - It's a Fly!
    From the Wikipedia:
    Bombyliidae is a large family of flies with hundreds of genera, although their life cycles are not well known. Adults generally feed on nectar and pollen, thus are pollinators of flowers. They superficially resemble bees, thus are commonly called bee flies, and this may offer the adults some protection from predators.

The larval stages are predators or parasitoids of other insect eggs and larvae. The adult females usually deposit eggs in the vicinity of possible hosts, quite often in the burrows of beetles or wasps/solitary bees. Where most often in the insect world parasitoids are highly specific in the host species that they will infect, some bombyliids are opportunistic and will use a variety of hosts.

While bombyliids have a great variety of species, rarely are individuals of any one species abundant, and this is perhaps one of the poorest known families of insects relative to its size. There are at least 4,500 described species, and probably thousands as of yet undescribed. is a large family of flies with hundreds of genera, although their life cycles are not well known. Adults generally feed on nectar and pollen, thus are pollinators of flowers. They superficially resemble bees, thus are commonly called bee flies, and this may offer the adults some protection from predators.

The larval stages are predators or parasitoids of other insect eggs and larvae. The adult females usually deposit eggs in the vicinity of possible hosts, quite often in the burrows of beetles or wasps/solitary bees. Where most often in the insect world parasitoids are highly specific in the host species that they will infect, some bombyliids are opportunistic and will use a variety of hosts.

While bombyliids have a great variety of species, rarely are individuals of any one species abundant, and this is perhaps one of the poorest known families of insects relative to its size. There are at least 4,500 described species, and probably thousands as of yet undescribed.
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Thanks for the comments :)- definitely a fly and not a bee and not dangerous at all, but must admit I do tend to duck if one flies towards me :). The tongue is twice as long as the proboscis you can see enabling them to get nectar often like hummingbirds.

Brian V.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I've got only one so-so shot of another bee fly I chased around for a good half hour, these guys really don't like sitting still!! They also reacted to me much more than most pollinators! Makes your shots all that much more impressive Brian!
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Very nice Brian - glad to see the Sigma 105 is still getting a workout :D
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Managed to get a bit closer to some bee-flies yesterday Bombylius major. About 10-12mm body length not including nose. First 3 shots are a male that rested every now and then when the wind got too strong for it's territorial hovering. First shot is an accidental fill flash one. Last shot is a female.

Mix of MPE-65 and sigma 105 shots.

Brian V.

This guy looks like he is ready for a sword fight rolleyes1.gif
    Interesting that only half the wings are transparent...wonder why that is?
    Thats quite a front end ornament I must say eek7.gif
    Nice find there Brian thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Never seen a Bee-fly before. Enjoyed the images--wonderful, as always.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Can't say I've ever seen one of these before.

Inspiring.

Rod.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.