Options

HP laptop

hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Has anyone used the HP tx2xxx series of HP touchscreen computers, such as the tx2117cl Tablet PC for photographic editing with their Wacom pens?

That series IS Wacom Penabled, so I should be able to use my current Wacom pens, and at $998 at Sams Club with 3gb ram and 250gb HD and an AMD Turion dual core, it looks very good as a replacement for my ageing Sony Vaio laptop.

I've held off purchasing a Penabled notebook until it was available on a smaller computer and until now have had to carry a Wacom pad with me. Obviously this would be used for a compact, on-the-road photo-editing machine with CS2 or CS3.
— Henry —
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Has anyone used the HP tx2xxx series of HP touchscreen computers, such as the tx2117cl Tablet PC for photographic editing with their Wacom pens?

That series IS Wacom Penabled, so I should be able to use my current Wacom pens, and at $998 at Sams Club with 3gb ram and 250gb HD and an AMD Turion dual core, it looks very good as a replacement for my ageing Sony Vaio laptop.

I've held off purchasing a Penabled notebook until it was available on a smaller computer and until now have had to carry a Wacom pad with me. Obviously this would be used for a compact, on-the-road photo-editing machine with CS2 or CS3.
    Do you do heavy photo editing on a laptop on the road? Or does your profession require those tools?

Just curious.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Do you do heavy photo editing on a laptop on the road? Or does your profession require those tools?

Just curious.

I've used it. My biggest gripe was the amount of screen quality you lose by going with the touchscreen. It works fine (as expected) but you lose all the sharpness of a non-touchscreen.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Just curious.

Usually not, but on occasion yes. Heavy editing is done on my home computer which I tailored for CS2/3. But with the long occasional trips and camping jaunts as well as teaching presentations, the extra small size of the tx2117 notebook/notepad would be a plus, especially if the Penabled screen was of reasonable use for editing.

Pupator, I'll see if I can get the salesman to let me look at some of my photos from a flash drive on that specific computer to see just how poor the screen is (or good it is, if one is an optimist!).

The one missing item from that model is the lack of a firewire (IEEE 1394) port. And that, along with screen resolution (size of screen is not an issue), may be the dealbreaker. The physical size and being Penabled are the big plusses for me.
    — Henry —
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Let us know if you decide to get it - I've got some accessories I can part with cheap as well (6 cell extended battery and 12" fitted case) if you need them.

--Paul
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Let us know if you decide to get it - I've got some accessories I can part with cheap as well (6 cell extended battery and 12" fitted case) if you need them.

--Paul

Thanks Paul ... I tend to be very careful in my electronics purchases and need to make sure they do what I need. If I do get the tx2117cl, I'll definitely review it, and an additional battery might be very useful though the 8 cell should provide longer life.
    — Henry —