Options

Would you fly in this?

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
278832430_5Fgsu-XL.jpg

278832431_25Cdd-XL.jpg

This was taken at the Sun 'N Fun aviation extravaganza held this past week in Lakeland, FL. This plane is a kit plane known as the " Quickie " and is one of the first offerings by the infamous Burt Rutan, one of the true aviation pioneers of our times. This thing has an engine of only 20 H.P. and flies at 100 M.P.H. I consider myself to be a fairly adventuresome pilot but I'm not sure I want to take this one on.
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Very interesting, probably about 20 years ago I would have. Is that a canard wing combination? And the elevators look so close to the wing and so large. Nice photo. headscratch.gif
    John
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I kept coming back to this. It has a cartoon-like look to it. The spots in the canopy for eyes and the bymp on its nose make it look like it's straight out of a Disney/Pixar movie. It has personality. :D

A nice shot of a cool plane. And that's an interesting staggerwing behind it.

Would I fly it? I would if I had a pilots license! mwink.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    NO.........But I sure would like to go up in that red plane next to it. Thanks for sharingthumb.gifthumb.......azzaro
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008

This was taken at the Sun 'N Fun aviation extravaganza held this past week in Lakeland, FL. This plane is a kit plane known as the " Quickie " and is one of the first offerings by the infamous Burt Rutan, one of the true aviation pioneers of our times. This thing has an engine of only 20 H.P. and flies at 100 M.P.H. I consider myself to be a fairly adventuresome pilot but I'm not sure I want to take this one on.

Wow what an interesting shape eek7.gif
    Looks like a huge remote control type plane rather than a real one.

My older brother owns a kit plane it's a nice shape looks like a smaller version of a Cessna, I haven't been up in it myself.

I think if you can get over the fear factor you can do lots of things.
    Lots of people wont fly in a big plane let alone a tiny one.

Looks like they put on a good display ........ thanks for sharing this unusual plane, good shots thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    For those of you not familiar with it, this Sun 'N Fun airshow is the second largest in the U.S. It runs for six days. Those few planes you see in the above photos are only a small portion of the hundreads that fly in for this event. They have a huge number of WW II warbirds on display every year, as well as quite a few current military aircraft. This year, the U.S. Airforce flight demonstration team, the " Thunderbirds ", put on a couple of great shows. The event organizers even stage a nighttime aerial show with planes firing off fireworks, trailing giant sparklers, and using other lighting effects to stage a show that is beautiful and riveting. This is one event I never miss.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Very cool....looks like an enclosed Ultra Light....which are very popular here in extremely windy Ks......Yeah if I had a license I would fly that.....funny I have a tremendous fear of heights except it doesn't bother me too fly.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I like the way its been tied to the peg in the second picture, is it that light it will fly away???

I was lucky enough to get a irde in a Tiger Moth biplane about 2 years ago, that was an expereince.

Nice shots

Tim
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Very intersting design! If I could get my hands on one I would love to take it up. It is almost byplane in appearnace because of how close the horizontal stab is to the wing, and because of how large the horizontal stab is. Most of the time the horiz. stab doesn't really help with the main lifting of the aircraft. This design looks like it could easily be carrying a decent percentage of the weight.

As far as it flying away if it is not pegged down, it probably takes off at 30 to 40 knots. So a decent wind could defenitley move it around, if not make it actually take off.
    Art Scott wrote:
    Very cool....looks like an enclosed Ultra Light....which are very popular here in extremely windy Ks......Yeah if I had a license I would fly that.....funny I have a tremendous fear of heights except it doesn't bother me too fly.......

Wow, someone else like me! I have been afraid of heights all my life, but get me off of the ground and it suddenly goes away. I think it has to do with that sense of scale. As long as there is something that attaches you to the ground (tower, ladder, whatever) then there is a sense of scale. You can SEE how high up you are, and because you can see the object dropping away from you it gives you that scale and for me anyway can cause vertigo. I can't even watch TV shows about the old iron workers back in teh day working on skyscrapers! LoL... Once I am in an airplane suddenly the ground seems kind of like a different world that I no longer inhabit.

Ok, I've rambled enough, carry on! LoL
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    NOeek7.gif I don't so anything smaller than a 747rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    nofatenofate Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I remember first seeing the Quickie in a Popular Science magazine in the early eighties. It looked so sleek and pretty. Hard to resist, but thank god I did. They are are handful to fly apparently because the takeoff and landing speeds are quite high. High stall speed I guess.

I fly this instead. For this pic I used early morning light on a calm day to get the color saturation, light angle under the wing, reflected light off calm water and some image reflection. I sat still in a small boat waiting for the waves to disapate.

DSC_20871418.jpg
  • Options
    navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    i'd fly it
    I'd definitely fly it. I was at Sun N fun, it's a blast for an aviation enthusiast.