Options

Sharpening in Camera RAW

TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Finishing School
Hello everyone!

When shooting in RAW and opening in Adobe Camera RAW v. 4.4.1, RAW has a section called DETAIL. In this section, it says, "Sharpening (Preview Only)" and then has sharpening settings similar to a USM filter.

My question is - do you typically do sharpening here, after other post work in CS3, or both? Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to doing it in Camera Raw vs. CS3? Is there a problem in doing it in both places? Finally, the title of this section, "(Preview Only)" is a bit misleading - does this mean it is only sharpening for the purposes of screen previews, or does it actually apply the sharpening to the image prior to importing to CS3?

I thought I had the whole USM thing down fairly well until I noticed it was in Camera Raw as well. I don't want to oversharpen, but also don't want to skip the step in Camera Raw if it should be happening.

If you need any more details on my question, let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott
Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 13, 2008
    Trasmc wrote:
    Hello everyone!

When shooting in RAW and opening in Adobe Camera RAW v. 4.4.1, RAW has a section called DETAIL. In this section, it says, "Sharpening (Preview Only)" and then has sharpening settings similar to a USM filter.

My question is - do you typically do sharpening here, after other post work in CS3, or both?

I do both - Capture sharpening in RAW and creative or Output sharpening for printing in Photoshop. There is an ongoing discussion of this topic here

Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to doing it in Camera Raw vs. CS3?

I believe there is, as do a large number of professional like Jeffe Schewe and Michael Reichman. To achieve similar results with USM in Photoshop frequently requires masks to control unwanted haloes, which are well controlled when sharpening in RAW with the Mask slider. There are a few disbelievers still, though.
    Is there a problem in doing it in both places?

I do it in both places - Capture sharpening in RAW to regain the sharpness lost in digital capture, and output sharpening in Photoshop for printing
    Finally, the title of this section, "(Preview Only)" is a bit misleading - does this mean it is only sharpening for the purposes of screen previews, or does it actually apply the sharpening to the image prior to importing to CS3?

I do not see a Preview Only setting. I do have the Preview box checked which then displays the changes I make in the RAW image in real time as I edit them.

278896858_jxZLN-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
  • Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thanks to both of you for your response, as well as the link to the existing thread!
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

[..]

I do not see a Preview Only setting.

[..]
    This is in Camera Raw preferences section of Bridge.

Anthony.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 14, 2008
    That's why I couldn't find it!!:D Thanks.

And yes, mine is set up to Apply Sharpening to all Images.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin