Options

New toy

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in The Big Picture
Since I got a nice little paid gig a couple weeks ago, I decided to reward myself with some new studio gear. Most of it was not something to write home about, but one thing definitely got me jumping.

Here it is:

1: The new little (or in fact rather "big") brother: 7' octabox from Amvona, next to its old (now "little") brother, 3'x4' Profoto softbox. Both are in modeling light mode (ISO3200):

278876288_yQf66-XL.jpg

I was simply playing with it, so I set the liners half gold, half silver, hence the honey color.

2: Now both are firing (profoto lights inside):

278876196_ekypq-XL.jpg

3: The new toy mounted on Compact-R 300 at 1/4 power, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/250.:

278876377_RznM5-XL.jpg

4: Checking if the grid is working. You can see some light spill on the back, but it's only me not being accurate in mounting the rear cover.:

278876437_FoAgF-XL.jpg

5: Test full body shot. According to the light meter it's f/5.6 at the face, chest and waist, dropping down to f/4 at the knee level - all that with the actual light/octabox center at the face level. :

278876502_aiG6Q-XL.jpg

All in all I'm very happy with the purchase. While I must admit it's not Profoto quality, it's definitely better than Chimera's (at least the one I saw), and you can't beat the price: $219:deal , no tax, shipped free, with the internal baffle, silver/gold mountable lining AND the grid(!) - those tend to be extremely expensive. I mounted it on Chimera octagon speed ring (thanks again Cathy!) - and that little piece of metal alone cost me $139 + s/h:huh, more than 50% of the diffuser itself...:dunno
I think I'll order smaller softboxes (they all come with grids and switchable linings) from amvona next time I'm on a shopping spree. :wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    New toy Redux
    1: After the first setup attempt I decided to take it apart and redo a few things:

278935272_hJBpU-XL.jpg

2: One thing I realized I did wrong was mounting. So I decided to mount the speed-ring BEHIND the mounting clamp that goes to light stand. Naturally it limits the mobility, but since it's gonna be used in pretty much vertical position anyway this was a very little cost for the gain of balance and ability to use the central internal reflector:

278935354_q4Etb-XL.jpg

3: Now the central reflector goes behind the bulb/strobe:

278935462_fJHyF-XL.jpg

4: It also dramatically reduces the back light spill:

278935602_FRd5o-XL.jpg

5: And with the rear cover in place the light spill is as good as gone even though I left a few openings for the ventilation purposes:

278935716_NJA2W-XL.jpg

6: The front view without diffusers in place. I changed all the linings to silver:

278935831_fQzQK-XL.jpg

7: Both diffusers in place:

278935909_vgPjZ-XL.jpg

8: Finally added the grid again:

278936024_z6EyA-XL.jpg

9: Me (6'2") standing next to my new 7' toy:

278936112_ncnMb-XL.jpg

Thanks for watching!thumb.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Holy Cow..that's like huge! Guess you need some sandbags? Looks like a space ship Nik. I'll bet you could light a small group with that. Way awesome.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Holy Cow..that's like huge! Guess you need some sandbags? Looks like a space ship Nik. I'll bet you could light a small group with that. Way awesome.
    Thanks, David! thumb.gif
    Yeah, it's fairly largemwink.gif , even though it's called "shallow profile". Pretty heavy too, had to use a heavy duty light stand for it.
    As to the sand bags: I put a couple just in case, but once I remounted it as shown (behind the LS clamp) it basically zero-balanced itself.
    I have no dout it would work for a small group (say, up to 3-wide x 2-deep), but my main goal was to use it for the full height shots, since my 3'x4' was obviously not up to the task (unless we're talking high key only).
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Let there be light. Lots of light. thumb.gif
    Tried to do the math on the luminance values and after about .01 seconds
    decided I couldn't ..... or maybe it was shouldn't. Likely it was both. :D
    Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Let there be light. Lots of light. thumb.gif
    Tried to do the math on the luminance values and after about .01 seconds
    decided I couldn't ..... or maybe it was shouldn't. Likely it was both. :D
    Michael
    Michael,
    thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
    After all, who cares about the math when we can get pikchas! mwink.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    Nik, that's the second hugest softbox I've ever seen! Gads! Fist pic remids me of an Apollo capsule reentering the atmosphere.

Thanks for the peek into your new setup.

So where did you relocate all your living room furniture to? lol3.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Sweet box. I would have to add an addition to my townhouse to set it up! (maybe knock the wall out into my neighbors loft headscratch.gif )
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Nik, that's the second hugest softbox I've ever seen! Gads! Fist pic remids me of an Apollo capsule reentering the atmosphere.
    Thanks for the peek into your new setup.
    Thanks, David!
    I do admit - it is rather big. I can't wait to test it on humans :-), which will only happen in two weeks...
    So where did you relocate all your living room furniture to? lol3.gif
    Frankly, there wasn't much to relocate. I simply moved the dining table aside, and that was about it.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Sweet box.
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    I would have to add an addition to my townhouse to set it up! (maybe knock the wall out into my neighbors loft headscratch.gif )
    lol
    Techically it would still fit into my first apartment, but there would not be much room left there after that "fer sure" rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    eek7.gif your quickly becoming a light jedi master ....
    i cant wait to see your new works, the self portraits just arnt working for me:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    eek7.gif your quickly becoming a light jedi master ....
    i cant wait to see your new works, the self portraits just arnt working for me:D
    I wish... it's a long path to that summit...headscratch.gif
    But yes, I can't wait to use it on somebody else besides myself or Helen, who's been very busy lately anyway. I have a few things scheduled, though, so hopefully I'll be abe able to share the results in a week or two...mwink.gif