Options

new and confused: D300, CS3, & MacBook Pro

kio500kio500 Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited April 19, 2008 in Finishing School
Hello!

I need guidance!. I was shooting with a D70 and using CS2 on my iMac G5. Recently I've upgraded to the D300, CS3, and a new MacBook Pro. And all of a sudden I feel like I'm back at square one! I really need to get myself secure in my workflow, as I have a lot of jobs coming up! Can you please help with the following:

1. What should my camera set-up be? (I believe Smugmug encourages shooting in sRGB, right?). I shoot weddings, portraits, fashion, etc.

2. What should my CS3 color settings be?

3. I shoot RAW, any advice on Camera Raw and Bridge preferences?

The DAM Book was like my bible before but I think it's a little out-of-date now (and I can't find my copy, argh!).:dunno

I would be forever grateful if you could help me. THANK YOU!!!!
Elizabeth - Milepost Portraits

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    1. What should my camera set-up be? (I believe Smugmug encourages shooting in sRGB, right?). I shoot weddings, portraits, fashion, etc.
    Doesn't matter. You shoot RAW. Color spaces and RAW is moot.
    2. What should my CS3 color settings be?
    Depends, but until you learn color management. Stick w/ North America General Purpose 2.
    This will set your RGB working space to sRGB.

I recommend clicking the checkboxes that warn you about profile mismatched. This way you'll know your not working on an image in a sRGB color space and make changes accordingly.
    3. I shoot RAW, any advice on Camera Raw and Bridge preferences?
    Depends what you do.
    The DAM Book was like my bible before but I think it's a little out-of-date now
    The DAM book won't change that much on you. Try getting out of the books and tinkering w/ stuff. Books are good to a point..

I'd also check out Lightroom. It's way better for your needs (at least it sounds that way) and once the initial learning curve is over with, it's very intuitive.

HTH
  • Options
    kio500kio500 Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    thanks for the advice, i'm feelin' better alreadyrolleyes1.gif
    Elizabeth - Milepost Portraits
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    The DAM book won't change that much on you. Try getting out of the books and tinkering w/ stuff. Books are good to a point..
    How ture this really is, I had photoshop for about a year before I had a DSLR and I used to just play with it, I bought books once I got a DSLR and there were only a couple of chapters that helped, masks and sharpening were pretty much it...the more you tinker the better, also just do a google search for whatever you are looking for and my bet is you will find something on it.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    How ture this really is, I had photoshop for about a year before I had a DSLR and I used to just play with it, I bought books once I got a DSLR and there were only a couple of chapters that helped, masks and sharpening were pretty much it...the more you tinker the better, also just do a google search for whatever you are looking for and my bet is you will find something on it.
    Sometimes the hardest part about Google searching is that you know what the effect you want to use looks like, but have no idea what it's really called. Gaussian blur is a very common one. To mos tin here, this is a very common word, but to a new Ps user, it's ilke egyptian sand scrit. :D
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Sometimes the hardest part about Google searching is that you know what the effect you want to use looks like, but have no idea what it's really called. Gaussian blur is a very common one. To mos tin here, this is a very common word, but to a new Ps user, it's ilke egyptian sand scrit. :D

True, but if they searched for something like "blurring background" or "blurred photoshop picture" I am sure something would come up...but I really see your point...however in this case the OP already had experience with older versions of PS, so the OP would have a better understanding of how photoshop works and what it offers, so they could just search "New photoshop CS3 functions" and come up with stuff that will get them going with CS3 without purchasing a book.

If someone is brand new to PS, then I highly recommend a book to get them started with the basics, cause you can find the stuff on the internet, but it can be very tedious weeding through everything :-)

I think in this case, the OP could figure alot with tinkering (like you suggested) and doing some googling...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    I agree.

Just rambling :D