Prints: Delivery Time and Sharpening

JMarcosJMarcos Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited April 16, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Even though I've been a user for several years I never tried the printing service. I finally did, as part of my online photo printing evaluation, to see if I could get better colors than the local Costco (I used to get consistent results from them but not anymore)

Question 1: for some reason the prints from Smugmug (about seventeen 4x6'') took three weeks to get delivered! :scratch By the second week I thought they were missing in action, and was going to get some support, but they finally arrived. Is this something unusual? (I live in California).

Observation: the nice thing is that the output from EzPrints is the best I've had so far (I have a profiled Eizo monitor and the colors are an excellent match to my display, and the proofing profile shows the right color shifts). Well, this was last month just before the change over to Kodak paper, so it looks like I'm going to do another test print job.

Question 2: I think my prints got automatic output sharpening! I did not apply any output sharpening to the Smugmug photos, but for the other photo sites I submitted additional versions with sharpenening (so both regular and sharpened). The ones from Smugmug match the sharpened versions. Can anybody confirm this? If so I think it is a great move, since one of the reasons I never wanted to print from Smugmug is that I did not want to have two versions of the same thing, one for web use and another one sharpened for print output.

Comments

• PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I'm not with Smugmug, but I believe that the "auto color" option does apply a small amount of sharpening to the images.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Hi, what's the order #? I'll look it up and then answer in detail.
  • JMarcosJMarcos Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, what's the order #? I'll look it up and then answer in detail.

The order number was 525013 - color was set to 'True' (so no autocolor).
    Thanks for checking...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Hi, so, True Color means we don't touch the files at all... no adjustments whatsoever, even sharpening.

I'm sorry for the delay :( You ordered economy shipping, which is just the US Postal Service. I wish we could speed up the postman, but we really can't - they do say that it can take from 3 to 14 days, and we have no control over that. Fact is, nearly all orders w/ Economy shipping are delivered really, really fast. I'm sorry the postal service lagged on this one :(