Pentax People Please Pontificate

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited April 14, 2008 in Cameras
My BIL wants to upgrade to a new DSLR, but funds are tight. He has an older Pentax ZX-50 film camera, and two lenses: Pentax-FA 35-80mm and Pentax-FA 80-200mm.

Question: are these lenses, which I assume to be basic consumer models, worth keeping and just getting a Pentax body, or do you think they would be better off just starting with a newer kit lens and body? From my research, it appears that these lenses are compatible with the *ist and K100 etc cameras.

Aside from the lenses they have, they are indifferent as to the camera brand. Other family members have Canon DSLRs and lenses, so there is that consideration if they chose to go Canon.

Comments

• Entropy512Entropy512 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2008
    Pentax glass is almost always very good, even the lower end consumer grade lenses. (The DA 18-55 is regarded as being one of the best kit lenses out there, and Pentax still went ahead and updated it with a new version!).

The FA 80-200 is probably a very good lens to have (won't need to buy the DA 50-200 unless he wants a smaller lens for that range).

The FA 35-80 probably won't be too useful - not wide enough on an APS-C camera. He'll probably want the DA 18-55 kit lens, or something else in that zoom range. I recently upgraded to a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 and really like it so far, although I haven't had too many opportunities to use it.

Keep in mind that due to in-body SR, ALL glass on new Pentax bodies is image stabilized, even legacy lenses.

Unfortunately Pentax priced the K200D and K20D far higher than the K100D and K10D - the K200D is where the K10D used to be. On the other hand, the prices for both are dropping fast despite Pentax claiming they'd be holding the price up for a while. (The K10D might have been priced the same at release, I don't know - all I know is what I paid for it in Summer 2007.)

Your BIL might want to wait a month or three to see where the K20D (or K200D) prices go.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 14, 2008
    Pentax made 2 lenses in FA 80-200mm, but I presume you mean the Pentax FA 80-200mm, f/4.7-f5.6. If this is the case then yes, both lenses are pretty inexpensive consumer lenses and probably not going to be very desireable on any modern Pentax dSLR. Then again, they are available to your BIL and Pentax has done a spectacular job in maintaining basic compatibility.

The modern Pentax "kit" lens, the Pentax 18-55mm, f3.5-f5.6 is actually fairly nice with good contrast and reasonable sharpness. (A friend has this lens and a Pentax K100D and does nicely with the combination.)

It would certainly be prudent to explore the entry level cameras from Nikon and Canon, along with the newer kit lenses with optical stabilization.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    While there are plenty of good reasons to purchase a Pentax DSLR, possession of those two lenses is not really one of them. They are not highly regarded. That said, there is plenty of used Pentax glass that will work excellently with a new Pentax DSLR. Pentax has the most backward compatibility with lenses out there. One can purchase a highly functional and optically fine 50mm 1.7 manual focus SMC lens for about $50.
    I just came back from a week in the Arizona desert and ended up using a 40 year old M42 macro, a 20 year old 135mm, and a 15 year old 200mm with my K10D.
    Your BIL should go to stores and feel how a camera fits his hands, and see how the user interface fits his brain. They are all a little different. It is hard to purchase a bad DSLR these days.

M
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    I went a similar route, but back almost 10 years ago now. Had a K1000 (manual 35mm) and then the ZX 50. Owned the two longer lenses in my Sig and got the Original *ist D (at the original price! $1900). Quickly added to 24-135 2.8 - 4.5. Have a K-10D in my hands tomorrow!

As they say even the old 500mm Manual lens I had worked with all of these!

Good lock,

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Pentax made 2 lenses in FA 80-200mm, but I presume you mean the Pentax FA 80-200mm, f/4.7-f5.6.

Yes the 80-200 is the f4.7-f5.6.

Thanks for the replys. I appreciate the feedback. These lenses are as I suspected, however, my BIL is not a photographer, doesn't want to be one. He really just wants good photos. I suspect that even though these may be lowly consumer lenses, they are likely going to produce better images that most P&S cameras, and provide the creativity they are used to with the film body.

He likely will buy used, not new. Am I correct in understanding that the *ist cameras did not have the image stabilization? Was that first on the K100/K10D?
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    cmason wrote:

He likely will buy used, not new. Am I correct in understanding that the *ist cameras did not have the image stabilization? Was that first on the K100/K10D?
    Correct, no image stabilization or auto sensor clean on the *ist!:cry

Looking forward to bot on the K-10D!mwink.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    You are correct. I would strongly recommend your BIL purchase a model with built-in image stabilization. Those older lenses tend to be heavy. I have found the IS to be quite effective (and it works on all lenses new and old) both physically and also psychologically--I have more confidence in taking some shots that I would not have without it.
    The sensor cleaning function, however, is not all that effective. I still have to blow out my sensor now and then. If one doesn't change lenses frequently this is less of an issue.

M
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    K10D and K20D
    The pentax K10 or K20 are both excellent cameras and the kit lens is pretty good. Add in the others and at least for a low cost you have several lenses and a great body. Then you can upgrade the lenses over time if they don't suit your needs.